Is a apex and tirdent worth the money

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I love going on my break and taking a look at my parameters. Getting messages when something is out of whack. For e.g my PH!!

It’s up to you man. Stability is worth it I was dosing so much to keep sps happy and growing. You can do it manually but there are machines for this these days.

Neptune apex is evolving so jump in it and find out for yourself
DE1D74DF-A9DD-4577-A9C1-9990F90B633B.png

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one but will definately be cashing in my birthday and Christmas present in from the wife and kids this year to get one. I personally think with all those Alk tests you can see trends that you otherwise would be guessing at. As it is it’s hard to find the time to test once a day. Having a chart that shows me how at what rate the elements are being consumed and when peak times are just seems so interesting.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had excellent success with my Trident using Controlled Dosing. You can read all about my experience with it here:

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been interesting since I added about 18 sps frags in the last Few weeks about 5 at time a week apart. And I can tell just from alk uptake when there settling down and starting to incrust.
From my phone while at work.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong no, with one huge caveat.

Power control center ... I have a CADE.

Automation of components - nearly all the best components these days have their own apps, wifi connectivity, etc. The idea that any of them are hard to use or you really need a central app to manage them all strikes me as a bit daft.

I think it's a Ferrari treatment bit at this point, and also benefits from the fact it was ahead of its time (becoming the Standard for elite reefkeeping long before contemporary equipment came with its own reliable, internet-enabled control systems and apps).

That all said, it's still pretty freakin' awesome, and like anything in your tank that's nice and requires time to master, will generally increase your passion, love for, interest in, knowledge about, and time spent enjoying the hobby.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For someone who is gone from their tanks for months at a time I have to say the Trident, apex, and Dos combo is fantastic. I originally had a reefbot which tested the water and ran greta for 2 years. I used Jeabo dosing pumps so if I got a result from the bot that something needed to change I had to coordinate with someone else to change it. Now With the Dos I am able to manually change the dosage, track the dosage amount etc all from a touch of a button anywhere. And have the trident test all 3 elements which I personally care about and make adjustments. I am able to keep my alk within a .15dkh swing throughout the day testing 4x a day (the minimum). I just purchased my second DOS for 1 of my tanks to control mag and LaCl. The reagents arent bad at all price wise compared to having to fill up the reagents for the reefbot. The one thing I recommend is buying during thanksgiving. I had to buy 2x everything since I got 2 reefs and that saved me a ton of money (apex el's, Dos's, Tridents, and Reagents).

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Trident apex and dos all three together have made the hobby almost hassle free. I monitor parameters daily and shut off certain components like the skimmer when pH gets out of 8.5 range. It’s all automatic . Literally sit back and watch your corals encrust

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see it this way, the trident has been out for a couple of years now and in that time i have not crashed my tank due to overdosing/underdosing. in that time i have not bought any reagents and i didn't spend the money to initially buy the device.
all that considered i have kept up with my normal once a week testing and while i'm sure things could be more optimal it is not something i concern myself with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back