OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune AFS on one tank and the eheim on another tank when I go on vacation. If you have an apex and want to make everything programmable with it then the AFS is okay. For the money the eheim works great.
Also, if you go with the AFS be aware that when it runs it makes an awful sound.
dang won’t be able to do this then, already get yelled at for just the sound of my trident testing….

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim has worked well for me in the past.

For me a feeder ring/defroster was very helpful to keep dry food from just going down the overflow. I put it near a powerhead so the food gets pulled down into the tank once it is rehydrated instead of just sitting in the ring and rotting.

This is one thing I need to look into. Wondering (haven’t looked) if there is a little black cup that is magnetic that I could add so it’s not a eye sore

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All very good info from everyone. Seems too choice to be 1.ehiem 2.avast
Obviously opposite ends of spectrum for money, but I know have a budget for now (ehiem) and a future to look out for on marketplace (avast)

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one thing I need to look into. Wondering (haven’t looked) if there is a little black cup that is magnetic that I could add so it’s not a eye sore
You could probably DIY something with a short segment of black PVC and magnets from KJmagnetics pretty easily.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from the Neptune AFS as it is loud, and I needed an in between setting. The smallest dumped too little, and the next click was too much. I could have set it to dump twice, but that was too loud.

I went with the Avast Plank. The auger moves very slowly allowing great control over the amount. I use their Reef Jerky supplemented with frozen every 4 days or so. Three minutes of run time of the feeder/auger dispenses roughly the equivalent of 1 frozen cube.

The highlight for me is the tube, mixing pump and the near silent operation. It lets dry food get hydrated and the cubes melt and then pushes the food into the water column. I set the mixing pump to turn on 10 minutes after the Jerky is added or it will pump the food into the tank and will not be fully hydrated. It's great to be able to throw in a cube and turn on the mixing pump a few min later. They do recommend that the mixing pump stay on, but I like to have the time for the food to get hydrated.

I have mine to run 3 times a day for 1 minute each feeding. All fish wait by the tube like clockwork.

At $210 it is well worth the investment.

If you do not have a controller you can get a smart plug to manage the pump and feeder.
1712498491534.png

Last edited:

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many and this is my $0.02.

• You can't beat the Eheim for value
    • Biggest issue with Eheim is it's hard to control the amount of food that comes out. I have always ended up putting a piece of tape over the slot to cut back on the amount of food that comes out but still get different volumes with each feeding.
  • The Neptune AFS is a step up from the Eheim, if you run an Apex
    • Better control because you can adjust through Apex programming
    • Same problem as Eheim with dispensing different amounts every feeding.
  • The Avast Plank is the best feeder I have ever used.
    • The auger style dispensing puts out relatively equal volumes every time (assuming the same run time)
    • Unlimited control when using with an Apex (I assume you can have similar control with another timer system)
    • Ability to feed freeze dried or different mixes except liquid/frozen
    • The only drawback I have seen is the price but you get what you pay for.
*****Edit*****
I forgot to add a drawback to the Neptune AFS that has already been mentioned is the noise. My tank is in my home office so I hear it when it runs. I would say it's not a deal breaker because it doesn't run that often. Since I switched to the Avast it is very quiet.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did maintenance the Eheim was the go to feeder.
I use it myself when I go on vacation.
I have learned that a simple feeder ring under the feeder will prevent most of the food from going down the overflow. We often mixed flake with pellets in the chamber.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want some ideas of what you use
Expensive or inexpensive and some pros and cons of it please. Got summer coming up with lots of time out of the house with one being 3 weeks away and want to start getting locked in.
What I like about this feeder is it is inexpensive, runs on a AA battery, and you can adjust how much food is dispensed each day. Dry food is dispensed at the same time of day (your choice of time) over 2-3 hours. I've been using it for years without problem. Sits on top of the tank-I open the lid a little so it can drop the food in the opening.

Attachments

• 20240408_182635.jpg
    20240408_182635.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 9

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want some ideas of what you use
Expensive or inexpensive and some pros and cons of it please. Got summer coming up with lots of time out of the house with one being 3 weeks away and want to start getting locked in.
I bought mine on Amazon, it is called Fishnosh. It was 30 dollars, has a digital display that you program. Can be mounted flat or to the glass with a clamp. It rotates so you can dial in where you the food dropped. I love it, but I will say which ever you choose, make sure you test it over a flat surface first! I did not do that and first feeding was WAY over. :confounded-face:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some cheap chinese piece of junk. Almost impossible to tell how often you have it set to dispense food. The dispensing door thing moves too easily so it needs to be reinforced with duct tape so it doesnt change inadvertently. When I set it up the first time I was laughing hysterical at how crappy it was. But after the duct tape engineering and testing how the programming works the thing never failed me.
Pretty much the same.

Some cheap chinese amazon battery operated fish feeder. After figuring it out, and super gluing the loose door, it's worked every day without fail for the last 5 years. I also have never changed the batteries.

Think I payed like $15 for it.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same.

Some cheap chinese amazon battery operated fish feeder. After figuring it out, and super gluing the loose door, it's worked every day without fail for the last 5 years. I also have never changed the batteries.

Think I payed like $15 for it.
Duct tape, agree!
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would really like to use the Avast Plank, but it uses a small AC pump in the mixing tube, so it won't work outside of North America unless I replace the pump or use a small transformer which isn't ideal.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The avast uses a Syncra Nano Pump which, I believe, comes in a European Version. You could either switch it yourself or contact Avast and see if they would source the European version and sell it with the Plank instead of the NA version. You would still be left with the auger motor that is NA though.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim 3581 for dry food. Very reliable and easy to use, about $30. It has different mounting options, or it can sit on a flat surface. No complaints other than I forget how to program it and have to look it up!
This here! I also have to look up programming from time to time and needed electrical tape to make the feed hole smaller.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back