Feeding your fish when you aren’t home: What is your experience with auto feeders?

What is your experience with auto feeders?

• I use auto feeders successfully.

Votes: 123 51.0%
  • I use/have used an auto feeder with mixed success.

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • I have been less-than-successful with an auto feeder.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I no longer use an auto feeder.

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I have not used an auto feeder.

Votes: 84 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Saw this one online with a camera which looks cool.

Camera Feeder

Anyone try it? Camera any good?
Never tried it but seems cool. I want a camera for my tank so I can see what's going on while I'm not home. Also so I have something good to watch during boring classes.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I run Apex, I use the Neptune AFS. A lot of people complain about the noise it makes. But it isn’t really that bad. When my fish hear the sound, they immediately swim up to where it dumps.

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a the Hydros auto feeder through my Hydros controller app.

I also have a camera that points at my tank through the Apple Home app. That way I can visually monitor my tank when I'm away. If I see my fish going nuts I know my auto feeder worked.
My paranoid self would be more grounded with this approach on holiday

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried it but seems cool. I want a camera for my tank so I can see what's going on while I'm not home. Also so I have something good to watch during boring classes.
A long time ago I used to do this, sorta. I’d set a webcam up on my tank while I was at work and click into the url. This was before YouTube and live streaming though. I’m certain you could do this with your own channel and some old computer equipment

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much should I feed per day with an auto feeder ?

I currently have 4 Fish (2 Antenna goby, 1 Firefish, 1 midas blenny) and I feed once at 10 AM about 1/4 of teaspoon give or take with my Eheim Automatic Feeder and then Frozen food at night.

daniele1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Auto Fish Feeder is perfect for my 850 gallon reef lots of big tangs, angels. Keeps up perfectly never clogs. Love it, to a lot of pressure off my wife to feed while I'm at work.
I'll never not run one again.

Reef Side .jpg
I have the same autofeeder and the flap to feed is fully open but to make sure something coming out of it I need to make the flake like powder otherwise they won't come out

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hydros feeder, and am very happy with it. I feed three times a day and am able to just mix up the variety of foods I prefer to feed and let it feed. I thaw and feed frozen every few days to make sure the diet is well rounded.

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the plank from Avast hooked up to the GHL profilux. I am extremely happy with it! I bought it to use while I am on vacation. It works so well that I have it do a couple of small feedings during the day and I feed frozen at night when I get home.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this guy. The feeding door is almost NOT open. Twice a day it drops about 20 small pellets, mix of veggie and meat. I feed frozen mixed with selcon once or twice a day (mysis and prime reef). I feel like the variety of foods is really important. I have a ton of CUC and 7 nems (RFAs and a light bulb). A bunch of porcelain crabs and brittle stars. My fish get fat, when i go on vacation for up to a week, i just leave the pellet feeder running.
feeder.jpg

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used an auto dry feeder with no issues but i think the next time im out im building one of these

Last edited:

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the avast plank. I have mine in the sump with an extra long tube cut to drop the food right into the inlet of one of my return pumps. It runs 4x a day for 1 minute and feeds a whole bunch of fish! Reef Jerky mixed with flakes. I then feed frozen once a day. I enjoy feeding by hand but I can do that anytime. Little gluttons!

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used one before. Waiting on this to drop for vacations and such.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back