Feeding your fish when you aren’t home: What is your experience with auto feeders?

What is your experience with auto feeders?

• I use auto feeders successfully.

Votes: 123 51.0%
  • I use/have used an auto feeder with mixed success.

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • I have been less-than-successful with an auto feeder.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I no longer use an auto feeder.

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I have not used an auto feeder.

Votes: 84 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use autofeeders:

1) Feeding fish is half the fun. Why automate it?
2) Whenever someone walks to the tank, the fish always used to hang out at the corner of the tank where the autofeeder was. In fact, they would hang out there regularly and not explore the rest of the tank and it was annoying. Even my CBB used to hang out there and he doesn't even eat the flakes there! He wouldn't scavenge the rocks like he used to. Its a pavlovian conditioning that I don't want.
3)Besides, on vacation? Maybe fasting for a day or so is a good thing and quite natural.

Last edited:

e-sully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the super-feeder.com feeders mentioned earlier in this thread. Mine have been working flawlessly for 10+ years plugged into an Apex outlet for control. You can easily daisy chain multiple feeders for large tanks and use only one outlet.

I also built a similar (but larger) frozen food feeder as the youtube video above to feed frozen mysis. The trick to prevent settling is to use a stir plate in the refrigerator that comes on a few minutes before each feeding and turns off after each feeding. Works great.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Avast Plank is the single best piece of gear I've ever purchased. I feed 8x per day during the light cycle but also feed nori every day for the tang gang. My fish are fat, healthy, and I've seen significantly reduced aggression in the tank. I'd also say that because the iffy fish (angels, rabbitfish, etc) are well fed, they are less likely to peck corals. My Anthias are also super happy.

Overall, a real game changer for me. I feed Reef Jerky but I add some stuff to it from time to time - like additional freeze dried mysis, some Ocean Nutrition veggie flakes, etc.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AVAST feeder is nice if you are looking for one to use with a Controller. When you plug it in, it is "on" so you just plug it in a Power Bar that is connected to your Controller and use the Controller to "tell it" when to come off and on.
I love love love my plank auto feeder!
Fish and coral are so fat and healthy!
I started slowly adding a little reef roids to my mixture. Don’t want the nutrients to get out of hand but I’ll add a little more till nutrients start to go up a little at a time.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used one before. Waiting on this to drop for vacations and such.

Unfortunately I don’t know if this thing is ever going to release! It’s been trough several revisions, looks and name changes since 2019! It was supposed to come out last year!
Needless to say I’ve had my eye on this for years. I gave up and bought a plank. When my tank fills out more I may build a fridge based feeder for more reef nutrition style feeding.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t know if this thing is ever going to release! It’s been trough several revisions, looks and name changes since 2019! It was supposed to come out last year!
Needless to say I’ve had my eye on this for years. I gave up and bought a plank. When my tank fills out more I may build a fridge based feeder for more reef nutrition style feeding.
Yea, there is a DIY with a small fridge doser and some tubing on YouTube that would be perfect. I did realize that this keeps getting pushed back

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This feeder has been working great for me. I can modify the schedule while away from home or ask my google assistant to feed the fish anytime I need.

iLonda Wifi Feeder

I dont think it would be any good for flakes, only pellets so far.
I have 2 of them! working fantastic for almost a year now!!!

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim auto feeder x 2. One has small pellets (smaller opening setting), the other has larger algae pellets (with larger slider opening). Use them daily. When I give other food, simply remove the food holder. No issues with batter life. Been using for a year. Occasional cleaning. I have them resting on the corners of the aquarium lid (50 gallon AIO). Able to set 4 feeding programs (each)

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Plank.I have falling in love with it.Especally when on the go or out to late to feed them.I have camera to spy on them when there eating.All controlled by a double wifi outlet.Perfect match.The fish love the reef Jerky I onky have one fish who won't venture that way.My pink spot watchman has set up shop under my Montie.So he won't eat unless I spot feed.Im tempted to move my space invader and put his home under the feeder. The night veiw is also cool when I'm spying on them also. Can you see Willie ?

Screenshot_20240404_091515_littlelf smart.jpg Screenshot_20240328_194148_littlelf smart.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back