Feeding your fish when you aren’t home: What is your experience with auto feeders?

What is your experience with auto feeders?

• I use auto feeders successfully.

Votes: 123 51.0%
  • I use/have used an auto feeder with mixed success.

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • I have been less-than-successful with an auto feeder.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I no longer use an auto feeder.

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I have not used an auto feeder.

Votes: 84 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feeding your fish when you aren’t home: What is your experience with auto feeders?

Auto feeders are supposed to make time away from your tank easier and less stressful, right? Now that we are in the holiday season that may include more travel, auto feeders seem like the obvious solution. I mean, it is so easy that the fish almost feed themselves, then why does it seem more complicated? Some reef keepers regularly use auto feeders with consistent success, while others are regularly frustrated or even moved away from auto feeders because of negative experiences. Please tell us about your experience with auto feeders and share any tips or recommendations in the discussion section.

HuduVudu_ApexFeeder.jpeg

Photo by @HuduVudu

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an auto feeder, 4 feedings a day. I alternate between flake and pellets.
I do a diy frozen cube when I get home and sometimes algae sheet/and/or algae discs.

Purple tang
Algae blenny
2 clowns
2 Royal Gramma
5 springeri damsels

Still can't keep no3 above zero. No real issues so far.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in trying out an auto feeder eventually. When I bought my tank, an auto feeder came with all of the equipment, I believe it was a Fluval auto feeder, but the previous owner had it so gunked up and jammed with old flake food I couldn't comfortably trust using it so it got stored away after cleaning it out. I'm hoping to eventually get another one to try out when my tank is more stocked. I currently just feed twice a day manually.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using and recommending the Super Feeder (Super-Feeder.com) for over 10 years. Other than my Dad dropping one in the koi pond - The first time it survived the second time it didn't. They haven't failed. They are super reliable. They can feed as many times a day as you want. And they will feed a mix of different sizes and types of foods.

Plus you can additional food holders and stack them for even longer feeding. I have even set these up in commercial operations to drop Kalkwasser, Coral Food and other dry dosing agents.

Dave B

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been my experience that fish can go prolong periods without food. Unless I'm away for a week plus then not going to be concerned with it and at that point best get an auto feeder as I don't trust others. Get them well fed otherwise prior to my short excursions.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydros one but haven't set it up so I Said other

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AVAST feeder is nice if you are looking for one to use with a Controller. When you plug it in, it is "on" so you just plug it in a Power Bar that is connected to your Controller and use the Controller to "tell it" when to come off and on.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one when I’m out of town. It’s set to feed very small amounts a few times a day. The first time I used it I tried feeding the “normal” amount and came home to a nasty, cloudy tank that I could only attribute to inconsistent food drops.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
haven't used an auto feeder because i feed frozen. even when i didn't feed frozen i mixed it(pellets) with powdered food as well. would love to see someone make an frozen food auto feeder :cool:

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use the neptune AFS and it does what it does. For pellets I find getting the right dose to be tricky. It's either too much or too little. After I get it dialed in the mix changes a bit and the amount goes up or down. Still, I like it and now that I have a bigger tank the amount I feed doesn't need to be as precise.

A long time ago I used this guy:

It also worked although sometimes it left food behind.

I love the idea of auto feeding but I wish there was a good frozen solution.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a number of different auto feeders. The AVAST marine autofeeder is 100x better than anything else i've used. I can control it with my Apex down to the second, for as many feedings as I want and the food always goes into the water column not floating on top. It stores weeks worth of food, it always stays dry and gives exactly the right amount of food every time.

Before getting it I hated autofeeders now I love them. I know I sound like a commercial but it is just that good.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a the Hydros auto feeder through my Hydros controller app.

I also have a camera that points at my tank through the Apple Home app. That way I can visually monitor my tank when I'm away. If I see my fish going nuts I know my auto feeder worked.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 plank feeders for my display (120) and quarantine (40 breeder). It is paired to a Neptune and KASA power strip. So simple to operate and maintain. If you can afford it, it is worth the investment.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This feeder has been working great for me. I can modify the schedule while away from home or ask my google assistant to feed the fish anytime I need.

iLonda Wifi Feeder

I dont think it would be any good for flakes, only pellets so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the past Eheim was very good then I got a Neptune AFS which has been Very good to me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back