Is a new aquarium like starting over

Tylenator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys upgrading my 75gal reef to 108 gals and moving everything to the new one including 40lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of dry rock that is now covered with Coraline algae 53 corals 2 tangs, wrasse, goby 2 clowns and a Chromis, coral banded shrimp and 2 clams moving all the equipment over as well as all the salt water

Does this constitute a new tank or a new build?

Also since its a new tank are there any suggestions

thanks for all your help

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea to rinse the sand extremely well before transfer if reusing. Also a good time to swish the rocks around in some tank water from water change to dislodge loose stuff in the rock. Nothing crazy on the rocks you just want to clean them a bit.

In my opinion I would keep an eye on levels but everything should be fine.

@brandon429 has RIP clean guides that I would follow for this move. Your not fighting anything but you do want a clean move over.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully agreed. We have a perfect safe system in using sand rinse prep. Any form of transfer not rinsing sand is subject to losses of a small % as unrinsed sand presents in different states of toxicity for a select few. By assertively pre rinsing any sand used, old or new, we install perfectly clear sand and the clean water resulting in the new setup helps to ensure seamless skip cycle.

Whether your tank is new or not after the upgrade depends on how you view tanking. My reef is sixteen years old and has been rip cleaned twenty times, which is how it got as old. It's still same rock, most same corals so I never considered simply removing all waste as a start over

In your case new glass is coming, still same rocks to me a systems age is based on age of rocks, the surrounding care options to the rock don't matter to me in aging scale

OP
OP
Tylenator

Tylenator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are my tanks spec I maintain. My corals and fish are always looking good. I plan on adding only 1 new thing that's finally ready for kalkwasser to add to the atk - top off the reservoir

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 15

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back