Is a wavemaker nessasary

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm going to be starting 20 gallon reef tank soon and I'm curious if you need a wave maker dose it matter or dose it not and if there's some corals that don't need a wavemaker and affordable then let me know and if I do need a wavemaker and what are cheap wave makers and corals

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - even if it's just a small one.
I agree , I have a 20 gallon cube with a Nero 3 the corals will appreciate the water movement it’s not turned up all the way but as coral grow out your gonna need more flow

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm going to be starting 20 gallon reef tank soon and I'm curious if you need a wave maker dose it matter or dose it not and if there's some corals that don't need a wavemaker and affordable then let me know and if I do need a wavemaker and what are cheap wave makers and corals

As @blaxsun noted yes, you will need one. More importantly it is flow that you will need. You may be able to get by with a good return pump if it is an AIO (all in one) nano display and a random flow nozzle. But if it is just a box of glass or acrylic with a HOB / heater you will need some flow.

You could probably get something like a Jebao SLW for 60 bucks which would work find. Something small that you can tuck away.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these in both fresh water and salt. They have never given me any problems except one that the mounting clip broke off. I still use it for mixing.

That is also a decent one. Little bulky compared to the slw but sounds like this is a first tank so good call.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you’re putting in the tank. I ran an all in one mixed tank, no sps, for years just off the return pump with two return nozzles. That was before things like the vca rfg random flow generator came out. I would think a decent return pump on a 20 gallon with a vca rfg could support a tank pretty well…. Depending on what you put in it. You would be limited on return flow, and if it’s an all in one when the filter starts to clog which can cause several issues you’d want to avoid.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you’re putting in the tank. I ran an all in one mixed tank, no sps, for years just off the return pump with two return nozzles. That was before things like the vca rfg random flow generator came out. I would think a decent return pump on a 20 gallon with a vca rfg could support a tank pretty well…. Depending on what you put in it. You would be limited on return flow, and if it’s an all in one when the filter starts to clog which can cause several issues you’d want to avoid.
Thank you!! Also what if it was live rock only would you still have a wave maker I'm still going to do corals though just curious

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also a decent one. Little bulky compared to the slw but sounds like this is a first tank so good call.
A bit bulky, yes. But cheep and reliable. Also, they kind of spread out in a fan shape, not too powerful and concentrated for a small tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Also what if it was live rock only would you still have a wave maker I'm still going to do corals though just curious
Water motion on reefs brings dissolved nutrients, planktonic food and Oxygen to the corals and fish that live there. The water motion is similar to blood flowing in an animal, in how it functions to support the living system.

If you just have rocks in the tank you don't need flow to feed dead rocks. Rocks on a living reef have bacteria, sponges, corals, plants, and probably a few hundred other things that can be growing on the surfaces and in the cracks in the rock. Those lifeforms all depend upon moving water to keep alive, so a pump to keep the water flowing is necessary in our tanks.

The flip side of current, is that too much can move rocks and sand around when you want them to stay put, and many corals will not tolerate the direct flow from a powerhead if it is too strong for their liking.

tsunami no GIF

:cool:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @blaxsun noted yes, you will need one. More importantly it is flow that you will need. You may be able to get by with a good return pump if it is an AIO (all in one) nano display and a random flow nozzle. But if it is just a box of glass or acrylic with a HOB / heater you will need some flow.

You could probably get something like a Jebao SLW for 60 bucks which would work find. Something small that you can tuck away.
Don’t forget the need to break surface tension for gas exchange

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
Necessary- beneficial- effective and essential for coral and nutrient distribution

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The goal is good water movement without dead spots. That's gonna be very hard to achieve without a powerhead. Even a tank with only live rock will do better with some sort of powerhead, but if you're gonna keep coral, it's a necessity.

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above recommendations are good ones, but I must confess that I've began with much cheaper ones. If they're cheap is very easy to replace them if you've any problems
For example, I've got these 2 per $16:

I had others, but I still have these and they still work. As a matter of fact, I put one of those in my QT and another went back to the DT because I messed up the one I had in it. I'd like to keep these affordable ones as backup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back