Is a wavemaker nessasary

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this one. Only 20 bucks and it's really good!

Jebao CWP-5000 Circulation Wave Pump with Magnetic Base, 132gph-1320gph https://a.co/d/dHxxvEn
I ordered this one to try. I wonder how effective is the flow control feature for this one. My tank is smallish (IM15) and some of these create too strong flow.

jandin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon Waterbox with the Fluval Sea CP1 circulation pump in the back to avoid deadspots. Between that and the return pump, my corals seem pretty happy.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you need a wave maker dose it matter or dose it not
I am not sure as I never used one. But my tank is only running for 52 years and I think at 53 years I may see a problem. :grimacing-face:

Me in front of tank (1).JPG

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this too, done lots of research and make sure to get one with magnets not the suction. Also if you plan to keep Anenomes make sure to cover the wave makers. And yes you need at least one for corals and fish both.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the many great contributions from Jake Adams to the reefing community were his articles on the importance of water flow for corals which also introduced his ideas around mass water movement and “gyre” flow (not to be confused with the Maxpect Gyre wavemaker)

Long before the first controllable wavemakers were introduced, aquarists have been rather inventive in the ways to move water. Modern wavemakers can make this whole business much easier though and the amount of small and affordable options are staggering.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back