Is anyone familiar with the Red Bandtail Waspfish?

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that was a huge picture. Didn't photobucket used to have an option to choose the size of the photo? *sigh*

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does that mean even a clown goby would be safe? They are about the same size.

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how these things eat since I haven't seen one in person. I will try to check YouTube :)

OP
OP
michellejy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And YouTube videos led to @Lionfish Lair's scorpion videos and then the Ghoul.

I *need* a predator tank now, and I blame it entirely on @rayn picking up that fish at Rivers to Reefs, the Ghoul posted by Renee, and the predator reef post from @FeliciaLynn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That the thing with Renee, she has awesome pics and videos!

Glad I could enable you to find the dark side! Scorps are awesome fish, just slightly misunderstood.

Gonna need a bigger tank!

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of these guys in my 15g macro algae reef. They are in there with a hectori, a few snails, and hermits and are super peaceful and took to frozen very quickly. At night they bury most of their bodies but when they are active they are awesome tank mates.

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jphillips, would you happen to have pictures?

We're reeling more in rayn! LOL! Feels like the old days.

The first picture was at the store the second is in the tank

20160114_134544.jpg

20160203_000209.jpg

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for about 2 months now and they are pretty cryptic until feeding time. The male sits in and blends in very well in my botryocladia and the female burrows under a small piece of live rock I have on the other side of the tank. But the second mysis hits the water they are front and center

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for about 2 months now and they are pretty cryptic until feeding time. The male sits in and blends in very well in my botryocladia and the female burrows under a small piece of live rock I have on the other side of the tank. But the second mysis hits the water they are front and center

That sounds just like my Fortesque Waspfish. Hiding then HELLO!

I haven't seen a pair. Are they sexable like the Paracentropogon rubripinnis? I'll go grab a pic, in case you are not familiar with them.... ohhhhh, so many questions. It's one thing to have "data", it's another when you can compare said data.

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I've been sexing them. The male does have that larger front dorsal spine while the female's are roughly the same size. I thought they were paracentropogon rubripinnis when I first saw them but I've leaned towards zonatus because that's what quality marine labeled them as on the shipment but both species seem to be very similar

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back