Is baseball cancelled?

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if if Trout hasn't learned by now how to save like any other American for a rainy day...I don't know.
I hope he has more than 500 bucks in his savings account and he’s less than 30k in debt, but playas gonna play.;)

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't, it should be. And even if it isn't one should question supporting it. So much going on in the world and here they are paying their stars while inactive over $4,000.00 a day. If that isn't a slap in the face to the world I'm not sure what is. And you know what is going to happen after the fact? It will get passed down to the stadium attendees and over the air TV viewers - nothing is free.

I mean if if Trout hasn't learned by now how to save like any other American for a rainy day...I don't know.

but you know why all these sport players got our so much because admission fee and commercials. I am cheap and would never spend that kind of money to watch something I can watch on tv. I know, it’s the experience and hanging out, I get it but it’s my opinion.

U

User1

View Badges
but you know why all these sport players got our so much because admission fee and commercials. I am cheap and would never spend that kind of money to watch something I can watch on tv. I know, it’s the experience and hanging out, I get it but it’s my opinion.

Yup - I know. Also oddly enough I'm cool with other opinions. My two boys love MLB - Pirates and Brewers. Me, I grew up outside Sacramento so used to be a huge A's / Raider fan. But the sport, all sports, have changed since I was younger. Doesn't matter if it is NFL, baseball, or auto racing it is all changed.

What killed it for me was the imbalance of payroll across the leagues. Specifically to baseball the rampant cheating and continued to blacklist players like Rose and others. I personally don't care what one player makes - welcome to America. It is why we are great. However, there are 9 players on the field and no "I" in team. Also - NFL - I won't go into that but politics and platforms are not why used to watch sports.

And of course this whole pay thing as I pointed out really boggles my mind but as you said - just my opinion. I still hope the A's and other small market teams do well but as far as following any teams those days are over as are going to live events.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday :). Stay safe.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I envision games on TV with nobody in the stands
I see this too, but only after infection reach a number that herd immunity can be achieved. Before this i don’t see any event occurring where more than a handful of people would be present in one location.

I mean the only reason we even remember the 1919 season at all is because the white sox threw it on purpose to make money.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - I know. Also oddly enough I'm cool with other opinions. My two boys love MLB - Pirates and Brewers. Me, I grew up outside Sacramento so used to be a huge A's / Raider fan. But the sport, all sports, have changed since I was younger. Doesn't matter if it is NFL, baseball, or auto racing it is all changed.

What killed it for me was the imbalance of payroll across the leagues. Specifically to baseball the rampant cheating and continued to blacklist players like Rose and others. I personally don't care what one player makes - welcome to America. It is why we are great. However, there are 9 players on the field and no "I" in team. Also - NFL - I won't go into that but politics and platforms are not why used to watch sports.

And of course this whole pay thing as I pointed out really boggles my mind but as you said - just my opinion. I still hope the A's and other small market teams do well but as far as following any teams those days are over as are going to live events.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday :). Stay safe.
One thing i like about football is the salary caps. Think they could achieve some form of parity if merchandising went partially to a general MLB fund that was divested into smaller market teams. I mean how is a team like Denver with a population of 600,000 supposed to compete with the Astros that have a stadium in a city of 2.3 million.
I mean how many more tickets would they sell, if other team was always at least somewhat competitive.

Detroit fan here if this explains anything lol.

U

User1

View Badges
One thing i like about football is the salary caps. Think they could achieve some form of parity if merchandising went partially to a general MLB fund that was divested into smaller market teams. I mean how is a team like Denver with a population of 600,000 supposed to compete with the Astros that have a stadium in a city of 2.3 million.
I mean how many more tickets would they sell, if other team was always at least somewhat competitive.

Detroit fan here if this explains anything lol.

Will be interesting to see how this works out with the Chiefs and Mahomes.

And I understand. As I said I used to follow the A's...Moneyball. Although they seem to find success at times but not able to close the deal.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys think baseball will be cancelled?

I was talking about this with my sons the other day, both for MLB and NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised if neither had a season. No way to know yet of course. Spanish flu was a problem for almost three years before enough people gained immunity to tamp it down. Flatten the curve to save the health care system, but until there’s an effective vaccine or an actually proven treatment, hard to see how large gatherings happen again anytime soon.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up playing and traveling to play some more. Lived and breathed baseball for almost 15 years.

Never thought Id say it but I actually hope theres no MLB season this year. Baseball has become so painful to watch these last 10 years I look for absolutely anything else to do/watch before settling on a game and I say that as a Sox fan. Red of course cuz nobody wears White these days but that’s irrelevant to the point. Baseball is dying...a season that never was might be the best thing thats ever happened to it.

if I can turn on a game, watch 3 innings then have lunch, watch another 3 innings then take a nap, get up and eat again, watch another inning then go meet my brother for dinner and still catch the 8th and 9th inning sorry Id rather watch basketball.

Ask me if I like basketball.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall the strike. I was a huge Pirate fan as a kid and my main hobby was baseball cards. After the strike, I lost all respect for the game and havent watched a game since. I didnt go so hard on the NFL when they went on strike. The kneeling crap on the other hand was the straw that broke the camel's back. RIP major league sports.
Football, Baseball, Basketball need some deep cleansing. Too much drama and not enough action, imo.

But Roller Derby, can't take top it for sports!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once we are able to go out freely I think the social distancing will be a remnant that we will be stuck with for a long time, perhaps the rest of the year. Hope not but that could mean no sporting events with an audience.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up playing and traveling to play some more. Lived and breathed baseball for almost 15 years.

Never thought Id say it but I actually hope theres no MLB season this year. Baseball has become so painful to watch these last 10 years I look for absolutely anything else to do/watch before settling on a game and I say that as a Sox fan. Red of course cuz nobody wears White these days but that’s irrelevant to the point. Baseball is dying...a season that never was might be the best thing thats ever happened to it.

if I can turn on a game, watch 3 innings then have lunch, watch another 3 innings then take a nap, get up and eat again, watch another inning then go meet my brother for dinner and still catch the 8th and 9th inning sorry Id rather watch basketball.

Ask me if I like basketball.
So Scurvy, do you like basketball? :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back