Is Bubble Algae worth worrying about?

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a few beads on a rock and then a bunch on the back of a trochus snail I have...Nowhere else. I removed the ones on the rock but I was thinking about letting the trochus just keep the new bling. I read it is pretty slow growing and can't outcompete corraline algae. Any problem with just keeping it? I don't think it's bothering anything.

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a few beads on a rock and then a bunch on the back of a trochus snail I have...Nowhere else. I removed the ones on the rock but I was thinking about letting the trochus just keep the new bling. I read it is pretty slow growing and can't outcompete corraline algae. Any problem with just keeping it? I don't think it's bothering anything.

I thought that. next thing I knew I was dowsing my rockwork in peroxide to get rid of it. Even at 0.05 phosphate it took over. Better be safe than sorry imo.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove what you can (unless you have a foxface that will eat it) but don't stress out about it in general. And contrary to the old wives tale that it will spread if you pop it in the tank, it won't, lol.

Fwiw, I have never seen coralline algae outcompete anything... maybe for nutrients but not for space in the tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I closed a tank once about 10 years ago because of bubble algae, it can take over your system fairly quickly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I closed a tank once about 10 years ago because of bubble algae, it can take over your system fairly quickly.
I have not found this to be the case. IME, bubble algae is by far the easiest "nuisance" algae to deal with (nuisance on quotes b/c some places sell it as a decorative macro).

Everyone's experience is different and there is certainly more than one variety of bubble algae in the hobby, but I'd still recommend against any drastic measures.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a sign of insufficient flow and/or insufficient nutrient export or you simply have overfed. Suggest to look into your tank setup before it takes over my tank years ago.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a sign of insufficient flow and/or insufficient nutrient export or you simply have overfed. Suggest to look into your tank setup before it takes over my tank years ago.
Not true. Bubble algae is not affected significantly by flow. It can also grow in low nutrient environments... again, there is more than one variety in the hobby so that may account for the vastly differing experiences.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it to my GF she loves the stuff. We were in a lfs once that had some really large ones. She's says "hey that's pretty, you should some of that. I told her it was too expensive that's why the price wasn't marked :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I had some in one of my tanks and manual removal and a couple of emerald crabs that actually eat it did a good job of eliminating it. Mine really seem to thrive in nooks and crannies where waste would settle. Blowing rocks of more often has helped also.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys i will remove it before it spreads

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The problem I had with bubble algae was you can remove it where you see it, but it will grow on the backs and undersides of rocks.
I had an outbreak in one tank that the bubble algae would show up on euphyllia heads and force the polyp to bail.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back