Is Carbon meant to be a temporary fix or permanent part of the reef system?

How do you use carbon?

• Temporary fix when I need it

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Permanent part of my reef system

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Other (posted in thread)

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon (bought in bulk from BRS) 24/7/365 and have for over 30 years. It's great for removing some dissolved organics (yellow water) and will also take care of many toxins.

For those who run a "mixed" reef (soft and stony corals) removing the turpines released by the soft corals makes it's use, at least IMO, mandatory.

FWIW - chemipure is just fine carbon in a filter bag. Chemipure elite has some GFO added to help with phosphates. In the long run you will save a ton of money using bulk carbon and bulk GFO in reactors.
I agree with this for leathers that throw them out to keep others at bay. When I see a mixed with a large leather I get anxious seeing it

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep purigen in the tank at all times until it gets dark, but that takes a really long time.

It has always seemed better to use less activated carbon but replace it frequently. I have media bags and I use just a little bit in a media bag and put it in my filter sock. I then change the carbon when I change the socks about every 5 days or so. Being in the filter sock gives good flow without having to use a reactor, and the sock catches any dust I didn’t get when rinsing. Worked for me for years now.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e used it to clear cloudy water after some kind of bloom once . I have ran it all the time never could see or tell any difference . dunno.gif

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permanent in mine, but I have a few leathers so it is used to combat coral warfare.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back