Is complaining about the cost of aquarium equipment fair when you do this?

Complaining about the cost of aquarium equipment when you pay large sums of money for coral & fish..

• is Fair

Votes: 278 52.0%
  • is Not Fair

Votes: 214 40.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 43 8.0%

• Total voters

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find fish to be very expensive. But I think they are three or four times as much if I buy them on line.

I only bought one fish on line. A copperband. I get them in an LFS here in NY for about $25.00.
I got one recently on line and with shipping it was almost $80.00

Dbowman5. The only place I know where to get my book is the link below my name. Even if I want one, I have to buy it from there and I wrote the thing. :confused:
my poor communication at work. i was saying i went on amazon following your link and bought one. thanks for writing it!
Yay book arrives tomorrow, it will save me from reading another Victorian romance lol

Last edited:

Andrewatj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish and corals are what get us obsessed with this hobby. The gear and tech is a necessity to house fish and coral, and while it can be fun to have cool-looking and top-of-the-line gear, it definitely feels better spending a lot of money on a beautiful fish than more chemicals

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I don't know if it's fair but it's understandable. I think the hobby is getting pretty elitist and we have presrcribed exactly what model of equipment you must have. If you don't have it, you are not taking that aspect of reefing seriously. So people feel a need to get this expensive stuff and complain. That's me, but in the end I just don't buy it.

Ozonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Toronto Canada and starting up again after being out of this hobby for over 10 years. Thing have changed a lot. Especially led lighting, but I know this coming back in. My only big complaint is when my lfs sell corals/frags. They put high prices because the corals are "rare".

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feel that my saying something is expensive is necessarily a complaint. Just a fact. I weigh the cost, the need and desire to have it. Then either buy it or not. I just wish such item works as stated.

Coral drives me crazy. I would suggest that vendors give the same information as other products. Growth type. And as much information as possible. All these fancy names can be confusing. Buying a cute little thumb sized " something " to have it suddenly spread like a weed and wage biological warfare in my tank is insane. And I paid for it. Or the cute little leather mushroom thing. Which is now huge and I am wondering what I am going to do with it. Since I live in Wyoming trade is out of the question. If it does not work out it dies. Full disclosure is needed.

I know off topic. I guess I don't mind paying for quality equipment. I depend on it to keep all those little fancy named corals alive.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Business. Buy things, sell things. Make something/grow something sell it profit. How can anyone get upset? It’s a job. You don’t ask your plumber to come snake your drains for free. Why would lights or corals be different?

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand, you have something that will depreciate the second it arrives at your door and will be obsolete within a month. On the other hand you get some sort of live organism that, if cared for properly, will multiply and you can possibly sell off.

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand, you have something that will depreciate the second it arrives at your door and will be obsolete within a month. On the other hand you get some sort of live organism that, if cared for properly, will multiply and you can possibly sell off.
Depreciation and obsolescence don't mean the equipment stops working or won't perform for years to come.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy used equipment, and inexpensive coral that I think looks awesome. There isn't really a need to spend big money to have a nice looking reef imo.

Literally my only complaint in this hobby is the price of torches. All of my friends that have been in the hobby longer than me tell me that torches used to be really affordable, but nowadays even a basic frag is like $150.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty new reefer.

I'd say getting into reefing is pretty dirt cheap. A 40 gallon breeder, cheap t5 fixture, some salt and powerheads and some rocks and you're golden.

The costs start quickly adding up when you start paying for convenience or automation.

Sump, Skimmer, ATO, boutique lighting, rimless tanks, gyre pumps, refugiums...

It all starts to add up very quickly, but most of that is just too save you time and convenience. Some salt mix and a 5 gallon bucket being used more often can replace most of that equipment.

None of this really bothers me. Most hobbies are like this. I do feel though like some products, especially electronics, are very subpar for what they are in this space.

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers have always been that way. I had an AquaC Remora Pro back in the day. It was $210 with a Rio 1400 pump included. I swapped it out for a Mag 3. Just ordered a RO 110SSS and it was $192 for Black Friday.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty new reefer.

I'd say getting into reefing is pretty dirt cheap. A 40 gallon breeder, cheap t5 fixture, some salt and powerheads and some rocks and you're golden.

The costs start quickly adding up when you start paying for convenience or automation.

Sump, Skimmer, ATO, boutique lighting, rimless tanks, gyre pumps, refugiums...

It all starts to add up very quickly, but most of that is just too save you time and convenience. Some salt mix and a 5 gallon bucket being used more often can replace most of that equipment.

None of this really bothers me. Most hobbies are like this. I do feel though like some products, especially electronics, are very subpar for what they are in this space.

But then you are limited by the tank size.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy used equipment, and inexpensive coral that I think looks awesome. There isn't really a need to spend big money to have a nice looking reef imo.

Literally my only complaint in this hobby is the price of torches. All of my friends that have been in the hobby longer than me tell me that torches used to be really affordable, but nowadays even a basic frag is like $150.
They did used to be inexpensive... A lot of things in this hobby skyrocketed in the past 15 years...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is complaining about the cost of aquarium equipment fair when you will pay large sums of money for coral and livestock?
Good question worth discussing again.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Complaining is valid, though at times annoying. I for one believe that one should stand up for their beliefs. If you think something is priced beyond reason ($150 per polyp) then stand by your ideals and don’t purchase. Hopefully enough people do the same and fix some of the exaggerated prices. What I find intolerable is complaining about prices but being all too willing to continue paying it.
I complaining about 3-4” frags costing over $100. Better believe I won’t ever pay that until they come down. I’m ok never owning those pieces if they don’t.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back