Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10E1DA8B-B7CC-4CB2-ABEC-9B4DC35115F5.jpeg

F6644BE4-6333-4EA9-93B0-A2CF346ABC99.jpeg
I
I thought at first it was growing but Im new to the hobby and I’m not exactly sure how favia’s look when they are growing. At thought the look of it melting means it’s growing. But after reading I’m thinking maybe alk burn?

parameters
Salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 6.1
Calcium 400
Magnesium 840
Nitrate 25
Phosphate 0.35
Temp 80

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust your parameters a bit

Alkalinity at least 7-8 no more than +.5 dkh per day, don’t let it fall below 7

Magnesium to at least 1280 no more than +100 per day don’t let it fall below that.

Don’t let calcium get any lower than 410

You can do this by hand adjusting (dosing) or water changes which is what I would suggest to combat everything at once, around 25% with good perameters

What salt are you using? Do you know the perameters it mixes to? How often do you do water changes? Do you dose at all?
It looks good though I bet once you bring mag and alk up he’ll puff up

OP
OP
AnxiousReefer

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust your parameters a bit

Alkalinity at least 7-8 no more than +.5 dkh per day, don’t let it fall below 7

Magnesium to at least 1280 no more than +100 per day don’t let it fall below that.

Don’t let calcium get any lower than 410

You can do this by hand adjusting (dosing) or water changes which is what I would suggest to combat everything at once, around 25% with good perameters

What salt are you using? Do you know the perameters it mixes to? How often do you do water changes? Do you dose at all?
It looks good though I bet once you bring mag and alk up he’ll puff up
I’m using Red Sea salt blue bucket. Water changes every week 10%. I don’t doze I was told by my lfs that I didn’t need to as I don’t have to many corals.

ArmpitSweat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing need is determined by alk/calc/mag consumption as determined by water testing, not by any particular number of corals.

I would recommend getting the parameters up to what the blue bucket mixes up as (I think 8 dkh/430 calc/1280 mag) over the course of a few days. Then two or three days later, test those parameters again to determine how much of each has been used over those two/three days. You will then dose each day as determined by that calculation. I would suggest testing once per week (same day, same time of day each time) to decide if your dosing needs to be decreased or increased as time passes.

OP
OP
AnxiousReefer

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing need is determined by alk/calc/mag consumption as determined by water testing, not by any particular number of corals.

I would recommend getting the parameters up to what the blue bucket mixes up as (I think 8 dkh/430 calc/1280 mag) over the course of a few days. Then two or three days later, test those parameters again to determine how much of each has been used over those two/three days. You will then dose each day as determined by that calculation. I would suggest testing once per week (same day, same time of day each time) to decide if your dosing needs to be decreased or increased as time passes.
I’m pretty much done the blue bucket. I bought Red Sea coral pro salt will that automatically get my alk/calc/mag to the parameters it should be?

ArmpitSweat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each water change would increase the parameters a bit. But your tank is still going to be consuming those elements, so to keep them stable (corals thrive on stability), you'll still have to dose.

Personally, I think the blue bucket is much better. The parameters are much close to natural sea water. The pro salt parameters are extremely aggressive (intended for very fast growth) and are right on the ragged edge of being too high. When running parameters so high, you have to also start monitoring your nitrate and phosphate levels closer than usual; as if they are too low you can run into numerous issues with your coral.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much done the blue bucket. I bought Red Sea coral pro salt will that automatically get my alk/calc/mag to the parameters it should be?
Not unless you do a 100% water change. It’s only subjective to the amount of water you change out plus what is remaining vs the difference in parameters between the salts.

You’d need to dose to get the parameters up as above and once you have reached the right parameters test again a few days later and the difference is your consumption which you should dose to keep levels consistent

ArmpitSweat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the above, I would definitely suggest that you do NOT do a 100% water change. Because the pro parameters are dramatically different from what you presently have, you could very easily cause shock to your inhabitants.

OP
OP
AnxiousReefer

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the above, I would definitely suggest that you do NOT do a 100% water change. Because the pro parameters are dramatically different from what you presently have, you could very easily cause shock to your inhabitants.
I wasn’t planning on doing a 100% water change lol I think I’ll just start mixing with pro salt test parameters for 2-3days figure out the consumption for each and start dosing from there. What do you suggest I use in terms of dosing?

ArmpitSweat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Bulk Reef Supply calc/alk/mag products. Affordable, and the calculator on their website is darn near perfectly accurate.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I certainly wasn’t suggesting that haha

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with some here. Your parameters are a little off. Mg should be 1300-1450, nitrate is kind of high and phosphates are kind of high. Do you have a lot of livestock? What kind of salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
AnxiousReefer

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with some here. Your parameters are a little off. Mg should be 1300-1450, nitrate is kind of high and phosphates are kind of high. Do you have a lot of livestock? What kind of salt mix are you using?
I have 7 fish, 4zoas, 2acans, 2favia, 1montipora cap. I was using blue bucket Red Sea salt ran out so I’m switching to pro coral Red Sea salt

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back