Is feeding your coral worth it?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every food ive tried for sps corals seems to iritate or burn the coral more than it actually helps.. dose in the column and the coral shows no reaction.. dose close to the coral and it retracts very quickly aka a defense mechanism, dose right on it and ive had coral foods burn the coral.

I have however fed LPS mysis which works lol. But i havent done it long term to see if it actually dose anything. Nore do i have the time to stick my arm in the tank every night to hand feed my corals. However i am actually tonight going to feed some bubble corals and my tracky coral i just got.

I have seen corals in a local fish store i go too often, recover from near death after they started feeding though. so i dont doubt it helps

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two piks are a month apart.
I think the feeding help with colors and growth. Just my 2 cents also threw in an extra pik, that duncan was one small head 2ish months ago now it had 10.

those corals your showing grow fast regardless, it may or may not have anything to do with feeding.. i have 4 types including the same color plating monti you do. and in 6 months mine were dinner plate sized and i never once fed them

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those corals your showing grow fast regardless, it may or may not have anything to do with feeding.. i have 4 types including the same color plating monti you do. and in 6 months mine were dinner plate sized and i never once fed them

You are correct about those corals, but scientific study shows that reef roids do effect growth in a positive way. I don't have a link but you can Google it and find. I would not stop feeding as long a P n N don't swing to high. I used to not feed in the beginning, but IMHO it helps with color and growth. Aminos helped a lot with color as well.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A polyp is literally an eating machine: stinging tentacles, a mouth, and a stomach. That's basically it.

What do corals do in the wild? Feast on zooplankton! What else do they do in the wild? Spawn! The moon and other factors are involved, but without feeding, corals just don't have the necessary energy/nutrients to spawn. They may be able to grow quickly in aquariums, but they don't have the energy to spawn. Which is fine for most people, including me.

There's a really great article in the CORAL magazine on coral feeding that talks about this for those of you who have it.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an ID on that plating monti? Because I need something like that in my tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back