is it a must to cut it?

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.. im battling abit of a dino outbreak. but all my sps was growing well until i changed to radion g5 and ran it at 70% out of the box. i think the light was too much that quite a few of my sps have burnt tips. to make matters worse, algae is starting to grow on the tips. question is do i have to always cut the tips in order for the sps to heal or i can just leave it as it is and hope that things get better? pls advice

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting did you have before? How high off the water are/were the new and old units?

i was using the zetlight qmaven 2 zt6800ii(was running 400+ par) lights before changing. it was 6 inches off the water. radion is mounted 8 inches and at 70% my top sps gets bout 300+ par. but most got burnt n started bleaching or burnt tips

DaAznGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until you see the sps back to normal health and growing before you clip the tip. If it’s at a stunted phase. Algae will just regrow on top.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to cut the tips, just blow the algae off with a pipette or something. You'll probably have to do it daily until the algae stops growing back.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to cut the tips, just blow the algae off with a pipette or something. You'll probably have to do it daily until the algae stops growing back.
did it work like that for u ? ive been trying it for a week. but it seems to grow back everytime :( ive tried cutting too. my rainbow tenius rtn after i cut the tips :(

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it worked, but it took a while. I think it was around two weeks.

I think what happenes is when the coral recovers from whatever change it experienced, it grows over the algae.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never cut the tips for burnt/bleached tips and the coral regrew back over the exposed skeleton in time. It definitely takes some time to grow over (first for the coral to heal from the original shock/insult). I would gently try and pipette the algae off each day, but not so forceful that you disturb the coral any more than it already was :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics??
Need to determine if burnt or dead.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burnt tips are from high Alk, not lighting. You definitely don't need to remove the dead coral. Can that help? Maybe, but it can make things worse too. When in doubt, do nothing.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burnt tips are from high Alk, not lighting. You definitely don't need to remove the dead coral. Can that help? Maybe, but it can make things worse too. When in doubt, do nothing.
It can be from pretty much anything that causes stress. It happened for me when I upgraded my tank and another time when I changed lighting.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do end up cutting anything off, I highly recommend covering the freshly cut area with superglue gel. It will help to stop any additional tissue recession. Might sound weird, but the fraggers and old timers can vouch for its effectiveness.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure my alk is very stable. running trident for the past 6 mths. highest 8.15 lowest 7.95

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure my alk is very stable. running trident for the past 6 mths. highest 8.15 lowest 7.95
Do you double check your trident. I have one and it will say that my alk is at 8.8 but it is actually 7.5 on Hanna. I'm beginning to not trust the trident and just go with manual testing.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose anything is possible. But I'd be surprised to see burnt tips under 10 dHk (is that what unit you meant)? I have killed coral with too much light, which is bleaching the whole coral, or gradual fading from white at the highest light, to healthy coral in the shade. Burnt tips usually show up as very healthy coral with completely dead (not bleached) tips - very easy to draw a line between the 2 parts. I would not be the least bit surprised to find an inaccurate alk test kit.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose anything is possible. But I'd be surprised to see burnt tips under 10 dHk (is that what unit you meant)? I have killed coral with too much light, which is bleaching the whole coral, or gradual fading from white at the highest light, to healthy coral in the shade. Burnt tips usually show up as very healthy coral with completely dead (not bleached) tips - very easy to draw a line between the 2 parts. I would not be the least bit surprised to find an inaccurate alk test kit.
Did a test with salifert kit and it matches trident reading. So pretty sure its not alk spike

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guys.. im battling abit of a dino outbreak. but all my sps was growing well until i changed to radion g5 and ran it at 70% out of the box. i think the light was too much that quite a few of my sps have burnt tips. to make matters worse, algae is starting to grow on the tips. question is do i have to always cut the tips in order for the sps to heal or i can just leave it as it is and hope that things get better? pls advice
Did your sps tips heal? I turned my new lighting up too fast and some tips are looking rough. I hope they heal up. I lost a few small colonies that totally bleached out. Im soo bummed out!

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude upgraded his lights and immediately got burnt tips. It's not alk, it's the lights. Horses, not zebras.

(How corals deal with light, alk, and nutrients are all related, and interdependent - and he may need to run lower alk or higher nutrients with the higher light levels - but it's absolutely the light change that caused this).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back