Is it Acanthastrea or Micromussa? Need help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call them Acans or Micromussa, whatever. Who really cares anyway! They're all beautiful!

Find frags here:
https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/collections/wysiwyg-frags-for-reef-aquariums?page=2

Pacific East Aquaculture, since 2000
Huge WYSIWYG selection, reasonable prices everyday (not just during so-called live sales!), fair shipping, awesome facility, great service! PLUS: Premium Membership discounts, add a Nugget deals, Weekly Specials.

F_O1176_2000x2_zpsbsuwh6ka.jpg

F_O1169_2000x2_zps0ysjhcdy.jpg

F_O1114_2000x2_zpsjyyqrtld.jpg

F_O1199_2000x2_zpssc0x2syv.jpg

F_O1161_2000x2_zpsf0tsvwth.jpg

F_O1175_2000x2_zpsnr6g7jyq.jpg

F_O1171_2000x2_zpsnwbs2uuu.jpg

F_O1185_2000x2_zps0g8rg2ym.jpg

Last edited:

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All look to be Micromussa lordhowensis minus pic number 6, which looks like Acanthastrea echinata. And yes, all look nice:)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it really interesting people have such a hard time letting go of calling them Acans. Probably for you it makes it easier to sell, but I don't really see the attachment to a scientific name. Especially now that it's been years since they were reclassified and they were only commonly available for less then 10 years. Same with Scolymia / Homophilia.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it really interesting people have such a hard time letting go of calling them Acans. Probably for you it makes it easier to sell, but I don't really see the attachment to a scientific name. Especially now that it's been years since they were reclassified and they were only commonly available for less then 10 years. Same with Scolymia / Homophilia.

Most hobbyists and the suppliers in Australia still call them Acans. Wasn't looking to upset anyone. It's mostly irrelevant what we call them, I think we all know what we are talking about. I've imported them since the very first shipment allowed from Australia years ago, so I fully aware of the name. I was pointing to the fact that the average hobbyist calls them Acans.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Section from stock list from Cairns Marine in Australia I just received today:

Hard Corals
Acanthastrea bowerbanki Pineapple Coral
Acanthastrea echinata Pineapple Coral
Acanthastrea lordhowensis Acan Lord Coral
Acanthastrea lordhowensis Acan Lord Coral

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hobbyists and the suppliers in Australia still call them Acans. Wasn't looking to upset anyone. It's mostly irrelevant what we call them, I think we all know what we are talking about. I've imported them since the very first shipment allowed from Australia years ago, so I fully aware of the name. I was pointing to the fact that the average hobbyist calls them Acans.

I know. My comment was not direct as to why you are still calling them Acans but why the average hobbyist still is? It's been long enough people should be used to it by now.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. My comment was not direct as to why you are still calling them Acans but why the average hobbyist still is? It's been long enough people should be used to it by now.

For a while I went with Micromussa, but recently went back to Acan. Doing a scan of other online vendors reveals many do as well. Aussie suppliers call them Acans. For most folks it really is irrelevant. For me it's like the designer names of corals, the average hobbyist could care less, others live and die by names. To each their own.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's the same thing with Ritteri versus H. magnifica. Name is irrelevant to all but the few in the hobby that enjoy more than "Ooh, that's pretty!"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back