Is it Jake or Carl?

kristic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I need your opinion on this because my family is totally confused on this one. Back in February, we had a lively emerald crab named Jake. He was pretty large fella and would actively walk around at night in my 36 gallon reef tank. I also had a red brittle star and for a long time they were fine in the tank together until they weren’t then suddenly legs and claws were missing until both died. I honestly was very upset over the loss of Jake. He was such a cool guy. So, I waited until about 2 months ago to buy a new crab. I named him Carl. He was a tiny little lad and stayed hidden all the time. I would only see his claw occasionally poke out from under a rock. About a week ago, I woke to find what appears to be a dead Carl. I was sad. I know what you’re thinking. It’s just his molt. And maybe so. Either way, I pulled it out of the tank and proceeded to mourn the loss.

The very next day … I kid you not, a giant crab came out and started walking around. Both my husband and I were in “holy hell where did Godzilla come from” mode. He is so big, I accused my adult kids of dropping a new Emerald crab in the tank behind my back.

So question … is it possible that Jake really didn’t die and has been hiding and healing from his battles this entire time? Could his personality have changed from a nighttime walker/happy-go-lucky fella to one that hides? Or is it possible that Carl could have grown three times his size so quickly? (His personality was a hider) When I bought him a couple months ago, he was about 1/2 inch (at most) chest plate to now he is 2 inches and his claws are huge. The body (or molt) was the size I would expect him to be not Godzilla.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this because my family is split down the middle on if this is Jake or Carl.

OP
OP
K

kristic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did at one time question if I had a hitchhiker… so now you have me more paranoid than ever! Will one morning I wake and find a three crab game of thrones in my tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back