Is it normal for a bleached torch to be fully extended

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a malaysian torch a few weeks ago. The torch appears fully extended and flowing nicely but the color seems light compared to what I remember at the LFS. I'm worried it is bleaching. I was told though that if it was bleaching and unhappy, it would also likely be retracted. So perhaps it is just my lighting? Here is a video of it. My temp is 77-78, pH 8.1, alk 9.5, salinity 1.026, phos 0.1, nitrate 3. I haven't checked Ca and Mg yet since this is my first LPS but I have some testers on the way. I use IO reef crystals and do weekly 10% water changes.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for lighting? Could be that but your nutrients are a little off. 3ppm nitrate is low while .1ppm phosphate is getting on the high side. What test kits are you using? You could try target feeding it a couple times a week with a few LPS pellets or some chopped frozen mysis. My torches like to catch bits of food.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dose something like fuel or reef energy to supplement a lack of zooxanthellae. You can also buy zooxanthellae which may or may not help.

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for lighting? Could be that but your nutrients are a little off. 3ppm nitrate is low while .1ppm phosphate is getting on the high side. What test kits are you using? You could try target feeding it a couple times a week with a few LPS pellets or some chopped frozen mysis. My torches like to catch bits of food.
I use the nyos kit for nitrate and Hanna for phos. I have the ATI straton led light set to 50%.

I dose reef roid and AB+ about twice a week. Maybe I should do it daily for a while.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the nyos kit for nitrate and Hanna for phos. I have the ATI straton led light set to 50%.

I dose reef roid and AB+ about twice a week. Maybe I should do it daily for a while.
Doing that will highly elevate your phosphates. Have a plan to manage them or you're just opening another can of worms

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing that will highly elevate your phosphates. Have a plan to manage them or you're just opening another can of worms
Hmm good point. Thanks for that tip. I have an area in my sump for a refugium. Maybe it's time to put it to use and get a chaeto ball.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm good point. Thanks for that tip. I have an area in my sump for a refugium. Maybe it's time to put it to use and get a chaeto ball.
Are you Sure the torch is actually bleaching?

I have had two lighter colored purple torches that just blow out the color to look like yours, under certain lighting. Unfortunately my Main lighting is one of those.

The torch is brand new to you, first lps in the system that already doesn't have a lot in it. Your NPS gorg in the background is showing you have enough in your water to support it.

I would do nothing Because of the torch at this point. Your nitrates are low for what they usually like. Chaeto will lower nitrates and phosphates. You can't afford to lose nitrates at this level.

A small bag of chemipure elite could help you bring down the po4.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd do daily if it were me (reef energy not reef roids)

Last edited:

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feed him directly. Don't over do it with the roids or AB+ you might be in store for worse things. He looks happy, fat and fully extended. Are you sure its just not a lighting difference from store to home? Let your Nitrates rise a bit also. Skip a water change, feed fish more or skip a filter socks cleaning. Get them over 10 ppm.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with reef roids. Just do the reef energy unless you have 0.00 phosphates.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back