Is it normal for a long nose hawkfish to attack a watchman?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brah02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brah02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2025
Messages
408
Reaction score
203
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long nose hawk and watchman goby have been in the same tank for over a month, with no issues. Today, I came home and witnessed the hawkfish attacking the watchman. His tail is pretty much gone poor guy. I separated him but he’s not looking good. Is this normal behavior for long nose hawks?


20250722_171749.png
 
My long nose hawk and watchman goby have been in the same tank for over a month, with no issues. Today, I came home and witnessed the hawkfish attacking the watchman. His tail is pretty much gone poor guy. I separated him but he’s not looking good. Is this normal behavior for long nose hawks?


20250722_171749.png
Probably - they can be aggressive with others. It's at least more normal than a tomato clown attacking the algae scraper when I went to clean their tank. (had to wear gloves or they could draw a bit of blood) lol
 
Do you have a pistol shrimp? If so hawks love shrimps and might have went after the goby to get at the shrimp. If no pistol shrimp no clue
 
Probably - they can be aggressive with others. It's at least more normal than a tomato clown attacking the algae scraper when I went to clean their tank. (had to wear gloves or they could draw a bit of blood) lol
Tomato clowns are nuts! Mine hosts an airstone (well the bubbles it makes). The pump died and I had to get a new one. Took 3 days to get here. She chased her male out of the dang 300 gallon tank cause she was mad her bubbles were not working 😳
 
Tomato clowns are nuts! Mine hosts an airstone (well the bubbles it makes). The pump died and I had to get a new one. Took 3 days to get here. She chased her male out of the dang 300 gallon tank cause she was mad her bubbles were not working 😳
My pair were in a 20 gallon. No wonder they didn't want anything else in there if 300 isn't enough. LoL
 
Do you have a pistol shrimp? If so hawks love shrimps and might have went after the goby to get at the shrimp. If no pistol shrimp no clue
No pistol shrimp yet… crazy that it’s been fine up until today
 
No pistol shrimp yet… crazy that it’s been fine up until today
Weird. Hawks are strange. Mine loves to insert himself if two fish start to squabble 😂 its like he loves drama. Maybe yours just decided it didnt like yellow 😂
 
Probably - they can be aggressive with others. It's at least more normal than a tomato clown attacking the algae scraper when I went to clean their tank. (had to wear gloves or they could draw a bit of blood) lol
Tomato clowns are nuts! Mine hosts an airstone (well the bubbles it makes). The pump died and I had to get a new one. Took 3 days to get here. She chased her male out of the dang 300 gallon tank cause she was mad her bubbles were not working 😳
IMO clowns in general are hysterically weird! 🙃🤨 My hybrid orange storm clown, the male, believes that all sides of the tank belong to him! If my Diamond Goby is sifting sand near the side or my hermits are cruising by the glass, he literally gets in between them and the glass and tries to push them away! 😂😂😂
 
IMO clowns in general are hysterically weird! 🙃🤨 My hybrid orange storm clown, the male, believes that all sides of the tank belong to him! If my Diamond Goby is sifting sand near the side or my hermits are cruising by the glass, he literally gets in between them and the glass and tries to push them away! 😂😂😂
😂 I had a trigger who would grab and fling snails and hermits who got in his area 😂😂
 
Do you have a pistol shrimp? If so hawks love shrimps and might have went after the goby to get at the shrimp. If no pistol shrimp no clue
No way a hawk would attack a pistol shrimp unless it’s REALLY tiny. I have seen some really tiny ones for sale at LFS though, about the size of a pinky fingernail
Will my watchman recover? He seems fine besides his tail is missing

20250722_180851.png
What size is the tank?

Does the goby have enough rock to burrow underneath?

A watchman goby would/should have no trouble burrowing into its hole to escape the hawks aggression.

A FTS would help
 
Do you have a pistol shrimp? If so hawks love shrimps and might have went after the goby to get at the shrimp. If no pistol shrimp no clue
No way a hawk would attack a pistol shrimp unless it’s REALLY tiny. I have seen some really tiny ones for sale at LFS though, about the size of a pinky fingernail
Will my watchman recover? He seems fine besides his tail is missing

20250722_180851.png
What size is the tank?

Does the goby have enough rock to burrow underneath?

A watchman goby would/should have no trouble burrowing into its hole to escape the hawks aggression.

A FTS would help
Problem is they are in QT. I was going to bring them to my display tank tomorrow after a water change. Made it a full 30 days in QT then decided to act up. Should I rehome the hawk before I move to the display or should I test if they’ll be ok? I just don’t know if I’d be able to get him out if he becomes aggressive again
 
Problem is they are in QT. I was going to bring them to my display tank tomorrow after a water change. Made it a full 30 days in QT then decided to act up. Should I rehome the hawk before I move to the display or should I test if they’ll be ok? I just don’t know if I’d be able to get him out if he becomes aggressive again

What size is the display? Do you have enough rock work and sand in the tank?

As long as you introduce the goby into a potential burrow you dig out for them, it should be okay.

A hawk and a sedentary goby like that in a small QT was risky to begin with
 
No way a hawk would attack a pistol shrimp unless it’s REALLY tiny. I have seen some really tiny ones for sale at LFS though, about the size of a pinky fingernail

What size is the tank?

Does the goby have enough rock to burrow underneath?

A watchman goby would/should have no trouble burrowing into its hole to escape the hawks aggression.

A FTS would help
My longnose tried to eat my full size one! It got “shot” but it kept trying so I had to move the hawk. That fish was crazy
 
No way a hawk would attack a pistol shrimp unless it’s REALLY tiny. I have seen some really tiny ones for sale at LFS though, about the size of a pinky fingernail

What size is the tank?

Does the goby have enough rock to burrow underneath?

A watchman goby would/should have no trouble burrowing into its hole to escape the hawks aggression.

A FTS would help
My longnose tried to eat my full size one! It got “shot” but it kept trying so I had to move the hawk. That fish was crazy
Holy heck, get that fish some help!

It needs to learn its boundaries. Crazy fellow.

My hawkfish when I had him was just very shy and reclusive
 
Keep a close eye on the YWG for secondary bacterial infection from that tail. May want to get some kaneplex in hand just in case, if you don’t already have it. I find it works well with bacterial. You may not need it, but it’s better to look at it and not need it, than to look for it and not have it….
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new