Is it normal for Chemiclean to kill snails?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some issues with cyano recently so decided to try chemiclean out. I'm 24 hours in the first treatment and it's doing well on the cyano, but every single one of my snails have died. The weird thing is that the four molluscs, the hermit crabs, and the peppermint shrimp are doing fine.

Is this normal and what other critters are susceptible?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically not normal but some strains of cyano are toxic. That is likely why some people use it without issues and others have problems. It is the dying cyano that causes issues.

I believe some cyano even has toxin similar to palythoas.

Crabs and shrimp have a shell so they are more resistant to stuff.

Chemiclean is likely an antibiotic so I am sure it effects other bacteria besides cyano. Perhaps that is why some people sometimes get dino after or at least it contributes to the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically not normal but some strains of cyano are toxic. That is likely why some people use it without issues and others have problems. It is the dying cyano that causes issues.

I believe some cyano even has toxin similar to palythoas.

Crabs and shrimp have a shell so they are more resistant to stuff.

Chemiclean is likely an antibiotic so I am sure it effects other bacteria besides cyano. Perhaps that is why some people sometimes get dino after or at least it contributes to the problem.

That would make sense. It was just weird that every single snail in the tank died. There were well over 100 snails (a cuc pack from reefcleaners)

Back