Is it normal that sand bed gets cloudy when I stir it?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon tank here.

I purchased live sand a year ago never rinsed it. I never siphon the sand bed.

should I start siphoning it?

The sand got super dusty and cloudy when I stirred it yesterday.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's controversial on whether or not you should but I have a neat work thread reference anyway, to at least show what folks with large tanks do who want some sort of sandbed control, versus none:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal. Lots of folks vac their sand monthly, but cloudy when disturbed is normal. I have a 17 year old female maroon clown that whenever a minor change to the take occurs she throws a fit and I'll have a cloudy tank for about a day.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sand was never rinsed then you have tons of fine particles in there. It will take a while to settle down. It's always helpful to put some extra filter floss in your filter socks to help extract it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's controversial on whether or not you should but I have a neat work thread reference anyway, to at least show what folks with large tanks do who want some sort of sandbed control, versus none:

hey! I like this idea a lot! I noticed some black patches deep inside the bed. I don’t know what they mean so I’m going to take it part by part

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to change the sand bed when your sand turns to this:
Work Digging GIF by US National Archives

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! I just started and I’m so excited!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black patches can mean serious business, risk, if this was a smaller reef your safest measure would be surgical takedown cleaning so the sand gets reset cleanly, then stick stirred in the clean condition as preventative

to begin upwelling the bad spots is opposite from that link, they started in the clean condition to prevent black spots, but you’ve got so much dilution for safety it should help. Small sections agreed and depending on how serious you are about risk management I’d still remove the sandbed with takedown cleaning because a sandbed in a 300 gallon reef is a total liability, no benefit, and is nearly inaccessible for care.

look how polar opposite this thread is compared to the one above

that’s the only safe technique for removing sandbeds in reefing, we never ever do it when water is in the tank.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should stay vacuuming your sand bed. You use a gravel vacuum just like you would to clean fw gravel. The gunk that comes out will gross you out!

I have started vacuuming my sandbed once a week, my tank is looking much better, the sandbed looks much much better

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back