is it ok to use bought ocean water sometimes and synthetic sea salt mix together

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it ok to use bought ocean water sometimes and synthetic sea salt mix together, i use salt mix but sometimes want to just use the bought ocean water, but cant use bought ocean water all the time for water changes
thanks
kim

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been doing it for 50 years. Except I take it from the sea and have never bought it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they actually selling water they took from the ocean? You should be sure it's that and not just mixed saltwater, if you want real ocean water. Lots of places sell pre-mixed saltwater that's just salt mix and water, but ocean water for sale is rarer.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am giving away seawater for free. Bring your own buckets and take all you want.
Today may not be the best day to do this.

PS, I can't believe people pay for free seawater. Maybe it's me. :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take it from a bit from shore I don't do anything to it. I normally throw a pump into the surf and pump it into my Jeep but it is loaded with seaweed, sand, creatures, cigarette butts etc so I have to filter it. Normally I use my diatom filter for that and it makes it crystal clear. But I would never pay for something like free seawater. It's like paying for air.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am giving away seawater for free. Bring your own buckets and take all you want.
Today may not be the best day to do this.

PS, I can't believe people pay for free seawater. Maybe it's me. :rolleyes:
I’d have to get over the Rocky Mountains to get free salt water :) Not everyone has access. That said, I just buy salt in a box and mix it myself.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take it from a bit from shore I don't do anything to it. I normally throw a pump into the surf and pump it into my Jeep but it is loaded with seaweed, sand, creatures, cigarette butts etc so I have to filter it. Normally I use my diatom filter for that and it makes it crystal clear. But I would never pay for something like free seawater. It's like paying for air.

Very true, when there is an abundance of sea water thats free why pay for it, specially when or of you don't live far from the ocean. Saying that time is money, how long do you spend at the beach pumping water? Over in Perth they charge $80 for 500L filtered NSW $0.16c a L

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay at the beach as long as I want to . Why not stay at the beach? I don't consider it a chore or work. ;)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a couple others have mentioned, are you sure the water from the lfs is natural sea water, and not just premixed synthetic that they mix in the store.

Being in Sydney, are you close enough that you could collect sea water yourself? Why pay for something that's free.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back