Is it possible to keep sps in a softie tank?

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a softie tank and would like to add some sps, right now I have a small monti cap frag. Any tips or suggestions on species or type?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a softie tank and would like to add some sps, right now I have a small monti cap frag. Any tips or suggestions on species or type?
Yes you can.
Since your just starting out i suggest montis. I really like the digi montipora.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you sure can. Just be aware that when you get the bug and load up the tank with sticks, more alk and calcium will be consumed. This will either mean more frequent water changes or dosing of 2 part or some other form of adding those back to the tank.

For good starters in SPS I suggest Montis, digis or the good ole green slimer.

Just for giggles, as it is a softie tank, do you know your basic parameters? Alk, Calcium, NO3, PO4 and Mag?

Just want to make sure you are not going to throw money away if they are really high or low.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grows the fastest?
This all depends on a lot of things. For me, some of my supposed harder SPS grow faster than the easy ones.

Usually, montis grow fast, as do slimers. Digis are a slow grower for me, but super fast for others.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on a lot of things. For me, some of my supposed harder SPS grow faster than the easy ones.

Usually, montis grow fast, as do slimers. Digis are a slow grower for me, but super fast for others.
My digis are extremely fast growing for me but I don't have anything to compare too

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep a more whiter tank purple digi is really cheap. I can find a frag for about $10 they only look great in whiter lit tanks.

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you sure can. Just be aware that when you get the bug and load up the tank with sticks, more alk and calcium will be consumed. This will either mean more frequent water changes or dosing of 2 part or some other form of adding those back to the tank.

For good starters in SPS I suggest Montis, digis or the good ole green slimer.

Just for giggles, as it is a softie tank, do you know your basic parameters? Alk, Calcium, NO3, PO4 and Mag?

Just want to make sure you are not going to throw money away if they are really high or low.
Last time I checked

Alk 9
Cal 460
Mag 1400

OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also keep

Duncans
Frogspawn
Fat head Dendros

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m colorblind so it’s been a while haha. I have a lot of coralline so I add soda ash
If you can sustain a healthy coralline population then you can grow easy sticks. I know that i cliche, but mostly true. Keep thing stable and SPS will grow in anything. I even grow them in a macro tank lol. Most are now brown, but they grow.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough light a couple sps will do fine in a softie tank. Heck they may even force to to be better with maintenance.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeed with all that was said above , I have digi in primarily softie tank and it’s growing fast, when it was touching the GSP tho it was dying lol had to move over an inch

Attachments

• 0E6B975A-361E-4724-BA32-55B8A58FE66E.jpeg
    0E6B975A-361E-4724-BA32-55B8A58FE66E.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Uroplatus

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough light a couple sps will do fine in a softie tank. Heck they may even force to to be better with maintenance.
Uh… I have cheap leds off Amazon and I change water once a month

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh… I have cheap leds off Amazon and I change water once a month
Digi are really a fantastic sps. Purple, green ,reds and loads of inbetween you can't go wrong. Will give you a feel of acros with a hardier sps

Back