Is it possible to over feed a cleaner shrimp?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love goniopora!
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2024
Messages
7,693
Reaction score
38,345
Location
East Coast
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I am only asking this, because I would like to fill my tank with corals, and most being LPS. I only have 2 LPS corals at the moment, but I feed them weekly.

I have a cleaner shrimp, and have heard stories that if it is underfed it will rip open corals to get food. I would not like this to happen, so I would want to make sure it is fed well, but I don't want to overfeed it, or is that not possible?
 
Probably not possible. I had two very well fed cleaner shrimp in my 20 gallon tank. They did not leave corals and rock flower anemones alone. They pick constantly. I banished them to sump in my bigger tank.
 
Probably not possible. I had two very well fed cleaner shrimp in my 20 gallon tank. They did not leave corals and rock flower anemones alone. They pick constantly. I banished them to sump in my bigger tank.
Thanks for your reply.

I would like to try to limt the chances of them picking at corals, so if that's making sure that they're fed well I will do that, even if it doesn't do much.

Plus, there the term fat fish = healthy fish, so maybe its the same with inverts? Lol I don't know.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new