Is it possible to over feed a cleaner shrimp?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I am only asking this, because I would like to fill my tank with corals, and most being LPS. I only have 2 LPS corals at the moment, but I feed them weekly.

I have a cleaner shrimp, and have heard stories that if it is underfed it will rip open corals to get food. I would not like this to happen, so I would want to make sure it is fed well, but I don't want to overfeed it, or is that not possible?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not possible. I had two very well fed cleaner shrimp in my 20 gallon tank. They did not leave corals and rock flower anemones alone. They pick constantly. I banished them to sump in my bigger tank.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not possible. I had two very well fed cleaner shrimp in my 20 gallon tank. They did not leave corals and rock flower anemones alone. They pick constantly. I banished them to sump in my bigger tank.
Thanks for your reply.

I would like to try to limt the chances of them picking at corals, so if that's making sure that they're fed well I will do that, even if it doesn't do much.

Plus, there the term fat fish = healthy fish, so maybe its the same with inverts? Lol I don't know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back