Is it possible to overmedicate your fish?

dbhudson5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I have one clownfish survivor from a previous tank. The clownfish was medicated and has been healthy and happy for about a month now.
I recently got a new clown which now appears to have some kind of bacterial infection.
Can I move both clownfish over to the hospital tank and meditate both, even though the older one appears healthy? (This would be mostly for company and bonding purposes)
Or would this hurt the older clownfish’s immune system, having so many antibiotics all the time? And is it just best practice to move the one sick fish alone and leave the healthy ones in with the rest their tank mates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long story short, I have one clownfish survivor from a previous tank. The clownfish was medicated and has been healthy and happy for about a month now.
Great
I recently got a new clown which now appears to have some kind of bacterial infection.
Can I move both clownfish over to the hospital tank and meditate both, even though the older one appears healthy? (This would be mostly for company and bonding purposes)
Without knowing what you're talking about its impossible to answer the question. Suggest - Posting at least a picture - under white light. And looking at the link in my signature.
Or would this hurt the older clownfish’s immune system, having so many antibiotics all the time? And is it just best practice to move the one sick fish alone and leave the healthy ones in with the rest their tank mates.
It will not hurt the older fishes immune system. the best practice is to treat all of the fish. IMHO

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just treating with antibiotics, I would only treat the fish showing symptoms.

However, clownfish are prone to a deadly ciliate parasite called Brooklynella which kind of looks bacterial, but is not treated with antibiotics and kills fast.

Post pictures of the infected clownfish.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, it's possible to overdose medications but if they are spaced-out properly the risk of any effects is low.

What did you treat them with? What are you planning to treat them with? Pics? etc...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Overmedicating will not necessarily end in disease or bacteria but normally death and affect the live bacteria in the system.
Often with over-medicating. fish will be lethargic, jumping, breathing heavily and even become moribund.

OP
OP
D

dbhudson5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. A picture would be kind of useless. There might be a small red spot around the nose, and the color might be slightly faded, but it’s very hard to tell.
The major signs are behavioral, the new clown has been very lethargic since introduction. For the last 4 days, it has been breathing heavily, barely eats, barely swims around (mostly sits in a corner), it bobs from side to side and typically tilts up slightly.
All of which, I was told, sounds like a swim bladder infection of some kind. However, if anyone thinks differently, please feel free to chime in.
I’ve been using Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the responses. A picture would be kind of useless. There might be a small red spot around the nose, and the color might be slightly faded, but it’s very hard to tell.
The major signs are behavioral, the new clown has been very lethargic since introduction. For the last 4 days, it has been breathing heavily, barely eats, barely swims around (mostly sits in a corner), it bobs from side to side and typically tilts up slightly.
All of which, I was told, sounds like a swim bladder infection of some kind. However, if anyone thinks differently, please feel free to chime in.
I’ve been using Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex
Then a video would be helpful.

OP
OP
D

dbhudson5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 of antibiotics.
Like I said just breathing heavy and not really swimming. The red spot appears to be gone and it’s not tilting as much or at all like it use to.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.MOV
    98.9 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back