Is it pretty standard for a Fire Fish to go missing?

RyanTheSquid

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2025
Messages
205
Reaction score
72
Location
New Mexico
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Firefish Saturday. Added it to the tank, visible and out and a around till lights put. I haven't seen it since. I have a small 25g with rockwork in the shape of an arch, no caves really. That thing is MIA
 
I was doing some tank maintenance last month and I saw a purple fitefish out of the corner of my eye. I thought to myself how cool it was to see a firefish! Then I realized it was a firefish I bought almost a year ago!!
Lol well good to know if spent $30 on a fish I'll never see. It'll be cool to see if it ever shows itself again.
 
Upvote 0
Lol well good to know if spent $30 on a fish I'll never see. It'll be cool to see if it ever shows itself again.
I love this fish! It's slowly becoming courageous and coming out more often. He now has a little hidey hole in the front and usually comes out for supper.
 
Upvote 0
Mine went missing after being in the tank for about a year. I was certain he had jumped and was almost at the point of replacing him, but after 3 weeks MIA, he was swimming out front, fat and happy like nothing had happened.
 
Upvote 0
I got a Firefish Saturday. Added it to the tank, visible and out and a around till lights put. I haven't seen it since. I have a small 25g with rockwork in the shape of an arch, no caves really. That thing is MIA
It's probably hiding since it is still new in your tank. It is very common for firefish to hide in new tanks as they tend to be skittish fish.
 
Upvote 0
firefish take a long time to acclimate to a new tank and feel comfortable. It also depends on the tank mates and we don't know what other fish you have. No caves is a bit of a red flag, gobies will not be comfortable in a tank with no hiding spots, they don't like to be out in the open all the time.
 
Upvote 0
firefish take a long time to acclimate to a new tank and feel comfortable. It also depends on the tank mates and we don't know what other fish you have. No caves is a bit of a red flag, gobies will not be comfortable in a tank with no hiding spots, they don't like to be out in the open all the time.
There's little crevices it can hide in, but not a lot. I have a starfish fish a cleaner shrimp, snails, and a lawnmower in there. Rest is corals, clam, and a rockflower.
 
Upvote 0
firefish take a long time to acclimate to a new tank and feel comfortable. It also depends on the tank mates and we don't know what other fish you have. No caves is a bit of a red flag, gobies will not be comfortable in a tank with no hiding spots, they don't like to be out in the open all the time.
Could my rockflower have e eaten it overnight? Without hands in tank moving things I've looked everywhere. Including outside the tank. Cannot see even a hint of it. I don't want to disturb rockwork and put it further into hiding though.
 
Upvote 0

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new