Is it save to put foam from the hardware store in my reef aquarium?

LeoE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!! So my aquarium is located in my bedroom and my return pump is not really the most quiet one. I would like to put some foam, from the hardware store, underneath the pump to reduce noise and vibrations generated by it. So my question is: Is it safe to use random foam from the hardware store or will this contaminate the water? In the picture you can see the foam I got and already cut to size.
1.jpg

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will reduce the noise but create a place for detritus to build up. You can use a little egg crate to raise it and stop the noise. You may also want to investigate why it’s making that sound. I have heard they can make a small amount of sound, but should not be enough to keep you up at night. I too have a bedroom tank and the pumps are very quiet.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and a few other places sell noise dampeners for that. Like this one: $5

I would not put foam in my tank, who knows what chemicals are in it.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and a few other places sell noise dampeners for that. Like this one: $5

I would not put foam in my tank, who knows what chemicals are in it.
I think that pad is for external pumps, and the pad isn't intended to be submerged in water

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!! So my aquarium is located in my bedroom and my return pump is not really the most quiet one. I would like to put some foam, from the hardware store, underneath the pump to reduce noise and vibrations generated by it. So my question is: Is it safe to use random foam from the hardware store or will this contaminate the water? In the picture you can see the foam I got and already cut to size.
1.jpg

I did the same thing except you only need to cut out 4 small 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces for each corner of the pump base. I super glued them to the return pump and there is no vibration noise now. Smaller pieces will result in a much smaller detritus trap. Although the amount trapped by that original piece of foam is likely insignificant anyway. Probably just my paranoia taking over...

OP
OP
LeoE

LeoE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will reduce the noise but create a place for detritus to build up. You can use a little egg crate to raise it and stop the noise. You may also want to investigate why it’s making that sound. I have heard they can make a small amount of sound, but should not be enough to keep you up at night. I too have a bedroom tank and the pumps are very quiet.
I can sleep with the sound of the return pump. The problem is all the noise is slowly adding up. Theres not only the pump making noises I also have a small wave maker and I'm also planning on getting a skimmer. Thats why I want to keep every thing as quiet as possible

OP
OP
LeoE

LeoE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing except you only need to cut out 4 small 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces for each corner of the pump base. I super glued them to the return pump and there is no vibration noise now. Smaller pieces will result in a much smaller detritus trap. Although the amount trapped by that original piece of foam is likely insignificant anyway. Probably just my paranoia taking over...
I did not think about that. It pretty obvious that you only need to support the places of the pump where it touches the aquarium why couldn't I think about that. Thank you!!

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just verify what the foam is made from. If it is an oil base product, I would probably think twice. If it is silicone or some other inert material, it should be relatively safe.

If you want to be absolutely sure, I would recommend getting some filter floss, or some filter foam made specifically for aquariums.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxo makes some silicone pads that are for use in the kitchen that are pretty cheap you can slip under that pump. Depending on how you plumbed the tank you can also use some soft tubing for the first few inches of the return line to deaden some of the vibration.

OP
OP
LeoE

LeoE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxo makes some silicone pads that are for use in the kitchen that are pretty cheap you can slip under that pump. Depending on how you plumbed the tank you can also use some soft tubing for the first few inches of the return line to deaden some of the vibration.
i have an all in one 21gallon tank. My pump is already connected via soft tubing. Now that I put the foam under the pump I can't hear any noise coming from it. I just hope that the detritus trap mentioned above won't be a big problem:rolleyes:

OP
OP
LeoE

LeoE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just verify what the foam is made from. If it is an oil base product, I would probably think twice. If it is silicone or some other inert material, it should be relatively safe.

If you want to be absolutely sure, I would recommend getting some filter floss, or some filter foam made specifically for aquariums.
I did some research about the material and I removed it asap!! it said it causing cancer and other bad things! I will look for some silicone foam or pad. Thank u for your fast reply's

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pick up a filter pad from your LFS or even a Petco has them. Cut it to size and you're good to go.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back