Is it the lens?

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a T6i with a 60mm macro, I can take decent pics of frags but really struggling with larger colonies. I can only get the tips or the base in focus but not both. Shooting in manual mode. Corals are in a shallow tank so not sure if I'm just too close, but I can't really move further back.

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your aperture set at? If the aperture is too open you end up with a very narrow depth of field. Try shooting at f8 or higher.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters don’t post to flicker. Post direct to the forum. The reason is I have to sign into flicker...blah blah..to enlarge the image.

The picture is just kinda a snapshot. Nothing about it makes me want to look at it more. It’s dark, needs a central subject. If you’re shooting Macro get closer.

Learn the rule of thirds to help you.

I finally logged into my flicker account to see the image better. My guess is you are using a F stop of 2.8-3.5. The reason I know this is only a small part of the image is in focus. If you use something like F8-14 more will be in focus. This will need a longer exposure time as well. You will most likely need a tripod.

I took your image and just did some basic editing and you can see how it's not in focus all over it. That's because your Depth of field is to shallow. You can also see how cropping and editing out the back ground can make the image more interesting.
ricordia-.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back