Is it worth it

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the market for a skimmer to replace my Aquamaxx FC80. There’s nothing wrong with the Aquamaxx, I just want a DC skimmer. Preferably one that runs on 0-10, but that’s not absolutely necessary.

I looking closely at the Deltec 400i. It’s about double the cost of my next choice which is the DC version f the Aquamaxx FC80.

is the Deltec 400i worth the money. Does anyone have first hand experience with Deltec skimmers? Pros, cons ?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the market for a skimmer to replace my Aquamaxx FC80. There’s nothing wrong with the Aquamaxx, I just want a DC skimmer. Preferably one that runs on 0-10, but that’s not absolutely necessary.

I looking closely at the Deltec 400i. It’s about double the cost of my next choice which is the DC version f the Aquamaxx FC80.

is the Deltec 400i worth the money. Does anyone have first hand experience with Deltec skimmers? Pros, cons ?

From talking to others Deltec still makes some top-of-the-line skimmers.
They're legendary for making great skimmers.

Feel like AquaMaxx sells some very nice products at a very nice price point.

To me, it's just what you'd like to have.

garybigley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Deltec 1000IX and the pump was failing within a year. I contacted support and ordered a replacement part that didn't fit when it arrived. I didn't think about warranty (I should have) and Deltec was more than happy for me to waste $125 on a new pump. The wire was wider and wouldn't go into the trench at the base. I ended up ruining the replacement. I contacted support, and this time it was not to sell me something but for real support - all I heard was crickets. In fact, they only responded after another email when I said I was going onto the fish forums to post my experience. Thank goodness I ordered a Bubble Magus Z8 right away from BRS. I figured it was a $10 insurance policy and I could return it for that if I needed to, but I got sick of Deltec non-response and fired it up. It's like half the cost of the Deltec, small footprint, smaller than Deltec actually (which is why I got the Deltec - needed really narrow) and I got it dialed in within 48 hours. It's skimming just as well as the Deltec which will become an emergency backup for me, if I in fact don't just toss it. The Z8 also has a feature that I missed on the Deltec, and that's the skimmer cup drain hose. I'm not exactly sure why, but I see people saying Deltec is top of the line like you mention above, but I also see lots of people on forums selling them after a short while, whcih doesn't really happen when it's really top of the line...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back