Is it worth ordering $500 worth of fish from Dr. Reef for free shipping?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef apparently has free shipping on orders over $500, and they have relatively cheap prices for very desirable fish(tiger anthias, red cardinals, select fairy wrasses). However, I'm unsure if getting potentially 6+ different fish and inverts at the exact same time will be healthy for the tank and the animals, and I've never actually had an animal shipped before. Is it safe to spend this money?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy (26).gif
giphy (17).gif

Edit depending on what you get and tank size....

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already spent 500 or more, everything came well, tomorrow I’m just getting four fish and a shrimp from him, after acclimatization, straight into the tank, no quarantines and no extra aquariums.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy (26).gif
giphy (17).gif

Edit depending on what you get and tank size....
80 gallon reef, 3 years old and I'm recently booting it back up. Parameters seem to be stable but I'm currently slowly getting magnesium, carbon and alk higher. Only got a damsel and engineer goby in there.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon reef, 3 years old and I'm recently booting it back up. Parameters seem to be stable but I'm currently slowly getting magnesium, carbon and alk higher. Only got a damsel and engineer goby in there.
Go slow homie maybe a few desireables higher priced....but if going smaller for qty go slow...

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow homie maybe a few desireables higher priced....but if going smaller for qty go slow...
Sticking to blue zoo then, I specifically detest fish of higher price... The "fodder" stuff is what I enjoy. Maybe except for sharks and big fish worth the price but those are out of my league.

that soldierfish looks sweet though... and blue zoo haven't had those in stock for ages.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already spent 500 or more, everything came well, tomorrow I’m just getting four fish and a shrimp from him, after acclimatization, straight into the tank, no quarantines and no extra aquariums.
What did you get for how big a tank?

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 90 gal, I bought a yellow coris, a yellow tan, a diamond Goby

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Inverts don't add much to the bioload is what I have always read.

What size are the fish? If they are small, they won't add much more than 1 large fish.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts don't add much to the bioload is what I have always read.

What size are the fish? If they are small, they won't add much more than 1 large fish.
Thinking of a soldierfish, bunch of red cardinals, maybe swalesi basslet? Not sure about anything else tbh. I'd think that'll be a lot of bioload already.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they really quarantine their fish? I never ordered fork them because I thought it was fake but idk.

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fake, they do quarantine if you select that option.
Really that is good to know. I get my fish quarantined by a friend but I need to get some snails quarantined. I’d they offer that I may order some

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fake, they do quarantine if you select that option.
yeah, part of why I was looking at them... I only have buckets for a quarantine, and only a single air stone/pump. Being able to introduce fish is just better and logistically simpler for not much of a price raise.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are all smaller fish, I think you would be fine. Feed lightly for a few weeks.
Full lineup to fill the $500 would probably be:
2 red cards
2 black cards
1 swalesi
1 soldier
1 longnose hawk
(swalesi/hawk interchangable with zebra moray/tailspot blenny)

I'm not in a coral - rich system right now, and my sand bed was recently disturbed by my engineer goby's engineering activities. Probably need more reseach before I can make a decision.

May have to drop the soldierfish, heard reports of it being able to fit a whole fairy wrass in its mouth and thus my Dascyllus is at risk. If that's the case it'll be swalesi/zebra moray and 3 red cardinals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke Do you think the care requirements of a banded snake eel are closer to a ribbon eel or a snowflake eel? They turned out to be pretty cheap on dr. reef... and they stated they are medicated beforehand. If they're similar to a snowflake or zebra it may make a good alternative. I'm mostly worried about it ambushing my dascyllus melanurus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef apparently has free shipping on orders over $500, and they have relatively cheap prices for very desirable fish(tiger anthias, red cardinals, select fairy wrasses). However, I'm unsure if getting potentially 6+ different fish and inverts at the exact same time will be healthy for the tank and the animals, and I've never actually had an animal shipped before. Is it safe to spend this money?
What size is the tank?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back