Is lifereef really the best skimmer?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the slight cost I would suggest getting the flange. Then you have a skimmer that can, by Lengthening it , run a much bigger system.

And when you “clean” it (really just the neck) it’s simpler and easier. No need to remove from sump.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On mine, and assuming the rest, but the hose coming out of the top of the collection cup is for two reasons.

1 - is in the event of a overflow it will go back into the sump area or intake and not flood the house.
2 - it also cleans the venturi

Jeff is not a fan of draining the collection cup into a bucket or jug or anything other than the collection cup more or less. Mine also had an option valve to open/close the collection cup drain so I would always have to remove the cup. I've since added a John Guest valve on it to connect 1/4 tubing so open/close and drain as I see fit. Now I only remove the cup maybe once or every other month.

They really are a good skimmer.
Mine came with the drain valve and hose to be able to drain the cup without removal

IMG_1598.JPG

U

User1

View Badges
Mine came with the drain valve and hose to be able to drain the cup without removal

IMG_1598.JPG

Yeah - back when I ordered mine it was an option. I didn't do it but have since added it. It does make life easier. I would have liked the flange too but I do not see the need to buy a new one yet.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the membership thread? :p

I went with a Lifereef for my new Waterbox peninsula, powering it with a Leopard L90 from that crazy BRS sale. Tank is still brand new, but I'm pretty happy so far. I'll be adding a CO2 scrubber inline which is one of the reasons I chose this skimmer.

1575510596005.png

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in a smaller room, and as great as my Deltec skimmer works, I decided to try a Lifereef to see if there is a noticeable reduction in smell. I found a good deal on a used one here and installed it last night.

It's skimming well already but the venturi noise may be a deal breaker. Even with the cabinet closed, there is a noticeable hiss. If I plug the venturi port, the noise stops. I'm using a Sicce ADV 5.5 to feed it. The skimmer is an older version, the venturi is the one without the cleaning port.

What's the best way to quiet it down?

Thanks!

025E48A3-8C3B-4564-98FE-B59F9E37145D.jpeg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have a tube that runs to the collection cup but your cup doesn't seem to have that which is odd.

U

User1

View Badges
My tank is in a smaller room, and as great as my Deltec skimmer works, I decided to try a Lifereef to see if there is a noticeable reduction in smell. I found a good deal on a used one here and installed it last night.

It's skimming well already but the venturi noise may be a deal breaker. Even with the cabinet closed, there is a noticeable hiss. If I plug the venturi port, the noise stops. What's the best way to quiet it down?

Thanks!

025E48A3-8C3B-4564-98FE-B59F9E37145D.jpeg

I don't really notice it but what I would suggest is just shoot Jeff a email. He will respond pretty quick with what you should, shouldn't hear. They are really great skimmers but fully agree with noise and how different people handle it.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have a tube that runs to the collection cup but your cup doesn't seem to have that which is odd.

It does, just wasn't in that pic :)

The other hose goes to a PVC pipe to draw fresh air from the attic. The noise doesn't change if I run just one hose from the venturi to the cup.

AFC45471-D0C0-4951-A74C-37BF4AF09B77.jpeg

I don't really notice it but what I would suggest is just shoot Jeff a email. He will respond pretty quick with what you should, shouldn't hear. They are really great skimmers but fully agree with noise and how different people handle it.

Funny how when searching the noise topic, responses range from "it sounds like a jet" to "it's completely silent."

I hope I can either quiet it down or learn to live with the noise, I wasn't expecting it to work so well overnight! I"m congested so no opinion on if it still smells like skimmate in here or not.

Last edited:

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LifeReef skimmer definitely makes quite a bit of noise too. Definitely the loudest part of my system. When the cabinet doors are on I don't tend to hear it as much. I've learned to live with it. Small price to pay I guess.

I would also agree that a phone call to Jeff would help sort this out. He can be a little hard to communicate with, but I've learned to deal with all walks of life over the years! His product is still great in my opinion. Using his skimmer + external refugium.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, just wasn't in that pic :)

The other hose goes to a PVC pipe to draw fresh air from the attic. The noise doesn't change if I run just one hose from the venturi to the cup.

AFC45471-D0C0-4951-A74C-37BF4AF09B77.jpeg

Funny how when searching the noise topic, responses range from "it sounds like a jet" to "it's completely silent."

I hope I can either quiet it down or learn to live with the noise, I wasn't expecting it to work so well overnight! I"m congested so no opinion on if it still smells like skimmate in here or not.
I'm in the Charlotte area (Monroe/Unionville) I have an all LifeReef system that is less than a year old if you would like to come listen to mine to compare to yours.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hole in the cover clear of any blockage

like other poster mine is quiet

No blockages.

My LifeReef skimmer definitely makes quite a bit of noise too. Definitely the loudest part of my system. When the cabinet doors are on I don't tend to hear it as much. I've learned to live with it. Small price to pay I guess.

I would also agree that a phone call to Jeff would help sort this out. He can be a little hard to communicate with, but I've learned to deal with all walks of life over the years! His product is still great in my opinion. Using his skimmer + external refugium.

Emailed him, hopefully there's an easy solution :). How loud is yours? With the cabinet doors open, it's pretty similar to a can of compressed air.

I'm in the Charlotte area (Monroe/Unionville) I have an all LifeReef system that is less than a year old if you would like to come listen to mine to compare to yours.

Thank you for the offer but I'm going to try quieting this one down first.

U

User1

View Badges
The other thing you mentioned was smell. I'm not sure if changing the skimmer will change that. Better yet, it may but it depends on how long you let it sit. One thing I've noticed in my case is that I'm lazy and when I let it fill the collection cup too much it is noticeable. Sort of like a sweet ocean smell for lack of better description. I empty the cup and it is all good again.

I do not have a heavily stocked tank at the moment so it may not be pulling as much as say something with 20+ fish. Mine is pretty consistent. So when I leave it alone too long the stuff can get pretty think on the acrylic and the collection cup gets a darker green smell. Remove the lid or neck and its noticeable :)

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emailed him, hopefully there's an easy solution :). How loud is yours? With the cabinet doors open, it's pretty similar to a can of compressed air.

A can of compressed air is a good way to describe it, sure. Maybe not quite that loud, but there's definitely a noise. I think some of the noise is the turbulence inside the skimmer chamber, but I could be wrong. DISCLAIMER: This is my very first skimmer, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm going to try and post a video to describe the noise from mine. It's skimming pretty wet, which might be due to my extremely light bioload right now. 120g tank, 2 small fish.

Hopefully this video plays.

Attachments

• VID_20200214_190315.mp4
    39.9 MB

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

His communication style leaves a lot to be desired.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing you mentioned was smell. I'm not sure if changing the skimmer will change that. Better yet, it may but it depends on how long you let it sit. One thing I've noticed in my case is that I'm lazy and when I let it fill the collection cup too much it is noticeable. Sort of like a sweet ocean smell for lack of better description. I empty the cup and it is all good again.

I do not have a heavily stocked tank at the moment so it may not be pulling as much as say something with 20+ fish. Mine is pretty consistent. So when I leave it alone too long the stuff can get pretty think on the acrylic and the collection cup gets a darker green smell. Remove the lid or neck and its noticeable :)

It's one of the marketing points on their website, that the venturi drawing from the cup eliminates odors. Now that a little is collecting in the cup, I think I'm starting to get that familiar smell, but I'll give it a while longer.

His communication style leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed :)

Maybe I'll eventually tune the noise out, but I did spend some time researching other skimmers this morning. It is working well though, props for that!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back