Is love rock from the ocean worth it if my setup is clean.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy @Subsea! It is an honor to carry on Richard's legacy of sustainable live rock farming. The summer waters have been relatively clear, the rock looks great and lots of life down there.
@liverock what were you fishing for in 3000' of water?
I was working as a subsea engineer on a Transocean semi-submersible drilling rig. There were relatively few fish on the bottom in 3000’ of water, on one occasion a giant grouper came to the wellhead attracted by the noise.

On the surface is where the action was. We were in Tuna feeding grounds with the Gulf Stream feeding it. The submerged portion of our floating drilling rig acted as a sunken ship with live barnacles and a food web of bait fish. Tuna & billfish we’re regularly seen from our main deck, 70’ above the water. Richard was fishing a July 4 tournament out of Boloxi and our rig was in the middle of a $500,000 tournament. One of the boats circling the rig was full of models from Louisiana Sportsman magazine. Everytime the bikini's came by, the side of the rig facing them leaned over with the weight of the boys on the handrail.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back