Is Majano "success" an indicator of how corals will do?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180g FOWLR tank that unfortunately is doing quite well at sustaining a healthy Majano Anenome population. I am about to begin a war against the Majanos and at the same time start introducing some soft corals and zoas. Does the ability of the tank to support and grow Majanos in any way correlate to the ability to support and grow "easy" corals? i.e., lighting requirements, water chemistry, etc?

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180g FOWLR tank that unfortunately is doing quite well at sustaining a healthy Majano Anenome population. I am about to begin a war against the Majanos and at the same time start introducing some soft corals and zoas. Does the ability of the tank to support and grow Majanos in any way correlate to the ability to support and grow "easy" corals? i.e., lighting requirements, water chemistry, etc?
Those things will grow pretty much anywhere but I think you’ll be fine starting off with softies. Stick a couple of zoas in there and a toadstool which are very hardy and take it from there.

Shaun.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things will grow pretty much anywhere but I think you’ll be fine starting off with softies. Stick a couple of zoas in there and a toadstool which are very hardy and take it from there.

Shaun.

Thanks, that is what I'm hoping. I have a couple zoas, a couple ricordea, a xenia, and a stylophora coming from the WWC live sale last weekend. The one that concerns me the most is the stylophora. Crossing my fingers I don't lose any.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on scoring in the sale. Im
Thanks, that is what I'm hoping. I have a couple zoas, a couple ricordea, a xenia, and a stylophora coming from the WWC live sale last weekend. The one that concerns me the most is the stylophora. Crossing my fingers I don't lose any.
Well done on scoring in the sale. I’m in the UK and couldn’t participate but was watching a bit of it and there was some stunning corals coming up.:)
The Rics, Xenia and zoas should be fine as they are all pretty hardy although Xenia is a funny coral. Grows readily in most tanks but I have seen some very experienced reefers that just can’t keep it. Stylophora is one of the easier sps to keep but it’s still an sps and needs stable water conditions with plenty of flow. For all of these corals I would initially place them on the sand for the first week before slowly moving them up to where you would like them over the next week or so. The stylo should end up pretty high on your rocks.

Shaun.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylophora is one of the easiest sps. You just have to check your parameters often. To answer your question, majano “success” doesn’t mean much, unfortunately. Lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back