More tough indicator corals

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread I introduced the idea of tough corals that may be used as indicator corals by simply looking at them, especially polyp opening and polyp extension https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-the-ugliest-coral-you-know-on-an-indicator-coral.948117/ .

Today I want to show some tough soft corals that may be kept widespread and commonly in reef aquaria and how they may be used as indicator corals.

Lobophytum.JPG

The first image shows a small Lobophytum. Lobophytum leather corals are not hard to keep, in fact they are easiert to keep alive than most Sarcophytons, but frequently their polyps are completely retracted or don't show much tentacles and even the lobes of the corals may be extended incompletely and look a bit shrunken.

Rumphella+Eunicea.JPG

The second image shows two gorgonian genera, the smaller Rumphella from the Indo-Pacific and the large Eunicea from the Caribbean side by side. Both may look nice under less good conditions but under good conditions they may look spectacular. Please try to ignore the reflections of the lighting of the tanks from the other side of the room (maybe I should try a better photograph).

Rumphella is quite soft in its general structure which makes it sway in the current quite beautifully.

Eunicea is more sturdy in structure but compensates this with its size and its huge polyps which makes the coral also sway back and forth in the current.

Like in Heliopora in the other thread, light may play a role for the overall look and condition of these corals but the water chemistry seems to be the more important factor, especially the micro- and macronutrients. The micronutrients are better known as trace elements and the macronutrients are phosphate and available nitrogen compounds like nitrate and ammonium.

Besides growth, the polyp extension and the development of the structures like the pinnulae on the tentacles can be used as indicators for the well-being of the corals. Especially gorgonians are quite sensitive to iodine deficits. With low iodine concentrations the polyps will be completely retracted or opened incompletely with tentacles closed.

Try to optimize nutrients to get the best look of the corals. Although soft corals in general are not as colorful as many hard corals, with fully exptended polyps and swaying in the current they may look quite spectacular in their own way.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back