Is this the Ugliest Coral You Know? - On an Indicator Coral

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the image you see Heliopora in one of our experimental setups.

Some reefers regard Heliopora as the ugliest coral they know. I guess this is because it will never become a colorful coral, it always stays dark brown. And albeit showing interesting growth shapes it will never move in the flow but remain firm and sturdy like a Scleractinian but without the beautiful and regular structures of corallites. Frequently it is just a plain, dark brown "something".

But sometimes it may show its polyps with their pinnulate (feathered) tentacles. If the conditions are really fitting for it, it may do permanently so, or at least almost permanently.

This is why in my eyes Heliopora is one of the best indicator coral species, especially for beginners. It really is hard, nearly indestructible, and it will show its polyps only when conditions are favourable. It is an especially good indicator for trace elements/trace nutrients.

Heliopora14.11.22.JPG

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the image you see Heliopora in one of our experimental setups.

Some reefers regard Heliopora as the ugliest coral they know. I guess this is because it will never become a colorful coral, it always stays dark brown. And albeit showing interesting growth shapes it will never move in the flow but remain firm and sturdy like a Scleractinian but without the beautiful and regular structures of corallites. Frequently it is just a plain, dark brown "something".

But sometimes it may show its polyps with their pinnulate (feathered) tentacles. If the conditions are really fitting for it, it may do permanently so, or at least almost permanently.

This is why in my eyes Heliopora is one of the best indicator coral species, especially for beginners. It really is hard, nearly indestructible, and it will show its polyps only when conditions are favourable. It is an especially good indicator for trace elements/trace nutrients.

Heliopora14.11.22.JPG
AKA, blue ridge coral. It's actually a leather coral. The skeleton is blue as you see in your picture.
I actually like mine because it's different. Brown, yes, but love the growth pattern.
I accidentally broke mine. You can see how it was growing and the broken piece without the flesh. It's a pretty blue color.

20220821_153529.jpg 20220702_105323.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add a contrast to the post. duncanopsammia are the single worst corals to ever gauge tank conditions by, and I fully believe that opening post about mine canary sps. we routinely use polyp extension combined with animal health in stuck cycle assessment posts where someone is absolutely positive their cycle broke and stopped processing ammonia a year into the tank being up (because a non digital test kit told them so)

what duncans do is make you think your tank is crashing over and over lol for no reason. their polyp activity means nothing I've found, most other corals and lps aren't that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AKA, blue ridge coral. It's actually a leather coral. The skeleton is blue as you see in your picture.
I actually like mine because it's different. Brown, yes, but love the growth pattern.
I absolutely agree! The growth patterns resemble some fire corals (Millepora) but without the stinging. I have some colonies that form these upright blades too. :) Yes, it is different in an interesting way.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AKA, blue ridge coral
Thanks for the common name;). I have some of these that came in on a piece of live rock years ago. They are very hardy but mine have never shown PE like the one in Hans post. I have a small piece on a flat rock in the sump of my larger tank and @Hans-Werner statement
"This is why in my eyes Heliopora is one of the best indicator coral species, especially for beginners"
has me thinking maybe I'll move that piece up to the smaller tank that I am having a go at SPS and struggling a bit. I was looking things over the other day wondering which frag I could use as an indicator. Thanks Hans.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally broke mine. You can see how it was growing and the broken piece without the flesh. It's a pretty blue color.

20220821_153529.jpg 20220702_105323.jpg
That a coral I would love to get my hands on. Not real common.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen one for sale ever.

*maritza the vase reef on youtube grows that as real blue/not just outer brown internal blue, in this world class pico:

I would indeed like to farm some in my reefbowl as well, always liked that rare strain.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not realize it is a leather - wonders never cease...

I put some up high early in the build and it is mounded with a few blades - and now it is just at the waters' edge. have NEVER seen that sort of bushy polyp extension even though the tank is supporting across and Millies well...

it does engage in rapid and deadly allelopathy with certain SPS, I know from experience
Have taken to chipping its spreading margins to keep it in place.

Having just had the opportunity to dive the GBR for the first time in my 67 years, have a new appreciation for communities architecture, and Helipora fits in nicely

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen one for sale ever.

*maritza the vase reef on youtube grows that as real blue/not just outer brown internal blue, in this world class pico:

I would indeed like to farm some in my reefbowl as well, always liked that rare strain.

They come up on liveaquaria once in a while. But last time I ordered one it came in doa along with the rest of the order. Bad packing on their part.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it near the glass. You will see the blue as it grows on the glass.
I already have. :) A few inches left of the photographed ridges there is a batch ca. 5 inch high and ca. 14 inch long growing up the front glass.

The broken part in the image above also was caused by cleaning the front glass.

The feathery polyps really are unique amongst "hard corals" and show it is an octocoral, like leather corals. It is a shame that they show not their full polyp extension in many tanks.

Our corals grew much denser polyps with continued favourable conditions. So not only the size and extension of polyps varies with conditions but also polyp density.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That a coral I would love to get my hands on. Not real common.
I offered this one to my LFS and they wanted nothing to do with it. I supposed because is doesn't have to cool colors everyone seems to be looking for these days
20221114_102121.jpg

Even palys can't kill this one, a second one in the same tank.
20221114_102152.jpg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have. :) A few inches left of the photographed ridges there is a batch ca. 5 inch high and ca. 14 inch long growing up the front glass.

The broken part in the image above also was caused by cleaning the front glass.

The feathery polyps really are unique amongst "hard corals" and show it is an octocoral, like leather corals. It is a shame that they show not their full polyp extension in many tanks.

Our corals grew much denser polyps with continued favourable conditions. So not only the size and extension of polyps varies with conditions but also polyp density.
indeed, I have small fuzzy polyps that stay close to the surface - will try to get a picture - perhaps species/local differences? saw the same polyp type as mine in an enormous mound in a commercial coral greenhouse in NC

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's discuss what params must be in check if polyps are out vs ones we can't discern

calcium / alk= can't discern / slower impacts if out of line unless alk is so poor pH has bottomed, I believe pH might be one of the few params we can infer solidly with opened small polyps. we have ammonia dosing threads where its added to large fully stocked reefs and measured on seneye as resolved in about ten mins on average-pretty large doses.

nobody's polyps withdraw in burning pain during the dosing events, fish don't clinch up/fail to breathe etc. literally nothing happens bad within the 5 mins the ammonia hasn't technically dropped back down to control levels. I dont think we can know much about free ammonia status off polyps but I still type that out because any reef tank messed up enough to be stocked with corals but can't control ammonia will be in such a state of crash that some other param will be causing polyp withdrawal

I offer that pH is likely the only reasonable assertion we can make from opened small polyps, it's somewhere in the acceptable range of coral life if they're open?

I know my polyps open poorly when water changes are put off/irritants seem to accompany poor organic loading and building scum layers.

and when we do rip cleans, folks' corals open up brighter than ever

but finding that actual irritant in the water that a simple cleaning removes/tbd

oh a big one: salinity

add that to pH. they won't open in bad salinity high or low.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My polyps come out after it sheds. Like any other leather, it will shed periodically.
I have a chalice that grows over it and a mystic sunset that will grow around it.
I periodically have to trim them but no damage to the Blue Ridge.

20220120_130310.jpg 20220815_201748.jpg

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never had Helio, nor even seen one, but I use forest fire monti as an indicator. If I ever notice that the tips lost the fiery green color, it is time to do tests to check if any parameter has shifted

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GARF acropora - I’m reliably informed that this is a great ‘indicator’ coral and is the first to be attacked by anything unsavoury

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back