Is my acan dying?

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acan has been like this for a few weeks now I moved it to the back of the tank to lower light and it’s starting to come out a little more now. Phosphates are at 0.07 nitrates 10-15 alk is at 7.7 ph is 8.0. Will it recover? First acan.
BA6CB89E-B912-41D9-A068-73ABF674A4A8.jpeg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you have it in the tank initially? Was it near other corals, and if so, what kind? Have you tested your magnesium and calcium?

Last edited:

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed it some today and it ate. Since the skeleton is showing all the way around I’m a little worried it won’t make it though.
I would look at boosting it on a really flat rock, so its not directly touching the sand. When doing this make sure it stays low down in the tank, to keep it away from the lights. I have had coral make a comeback from looking similar to yours - I have also had pieces die. Its important to solve what was causing it to deteriorate first, which sounds like the light, and constant knocking by your shrimp.

Fergus

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If whatever cause the tissue to recede is solved it should recover just fine. They can come back from much worse. Again though thats only if the initial cause is corrected now. Leaving in minimum light is a good choice and i would try keeping it there until hopefully recovers.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, considering you do not know calcium and magnesium levels, are your other corals looking okay? If it is not a light problem and is a chemistry problem, there is less of a chance it will make it, unless the issue is fixed. Looking at your other coral is a good indicator.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, considering you do not know calcium and magnesium levels, are your other corals looking okay? If it is not a light problem and is a chemistry problem, there is less of a chance it will make it, unless the issue is fixed. Looking at your other coral is a good indicator.
All other corals look super healthy it’s just this guy that looks rough.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good sign! It sounds like its probably the lighting / shrimp issue. Good luck, I hope it gets better.

Fergus

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back