Is my Acan okay?

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this acan frag attached to my xenia frag. It didn't ask for it but I got it for free so I'm not complaining. I have not done much research on this guy yet and I am a worrier. I separated the acan and the xenia and can't tell if he is doing worse or just fine. I've looked at countless pictures of acans but I'm still not sure how this guy is supposed to look. Please help. First picture is from a few days ago and last two are from today.

IMG-4491.jpg IMG-4490.jpg IMG-4486.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to the wrong lfs if you got a acan as a freebie from buying a xenia frag. lol

It looks fine IMO.
Fair point. I'm a total reef noob but even I was curious why they would be on the same frag.

Thanks for your opinion though. Helps me rest easy. I'm not really sure how acans work compared to other corals. Is he "open" right now?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he "open" right now?
From my limited experience acans don't "close" like some corals do, when unhappy they will shrink a little bit. Also when theyre not doing well you will start to see their skeleton exposed around the head.

Fair point. I'm a total reef noob but even I was curious why they would be on the same frag.
My guess would be that they had a acan frag and the xenia accidentally grew onto it, and yes I'd bet that the fact that there was an acan with the xenia was factored into the price. Although not an expensive coral the acan is still more valuable than the xenia.

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my limited experience acans don't "close" like some corals do, when unhappy they will shrink a little bit. Also when theyre not doing well you will start to see their skeleton exposed around the head.

My guess would be that they had a acan frag and the xenia accidentally grew onto it, and yes I'd bet that the fact that there was an acan with the xenia was factored into the price. Although not an expensive coral the acan is still more valuable than the xenia.
Thanks a lot. That really helps!

I kid you not, I asked for one xenia frag. They gave me 2 xenia frags and an acan frag on the same plug. I have the receipt right here, I was only charged $15. I think they were just busy and too lazy to split it all up for me.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks happy to me. Might be a freebie but it’s a nice coral nonetheless. Another thing to keep an eye out for is feeder tentacles. Mine usually have them out all the time because I never feed my tank at the same time but I think it makes them look much cooler.

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks happy to me. Might be a freebie but it’s a nice coral nonetheless. Another thing to keep an eye out for is feeder tentacles. Mine usually have them out all the time because I never feed my tank at the same time but I think it makes them look much cooler.
I see. I haven't seen any feeder tentacles in the few days I've had him for. Hopefully I see them soon.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually only see the feeder tentacles on mine when I go to feed them. Once they know food is near the tentacles come out. I feed mine a mixture of reefroids and mysis.

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat literally everything I’ve put into my tanks. They will grab mysis rods food and if I’m target feeding them I usually do reef roids.
I usually only see the feeder tentacles on mine when I go to feed them. Once they know food is near the tentacles come out. I feed mine a mixture of reefroids and mysis.
Appreciate it guys. I've learned a lot. I love reef2reef!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back