Is my anemone becoming bleached?

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we have had this anemone for almost a month now, and we just upgraded from a 46 gallon to a 125. We didn’t use any of the water or sand from the 46 gallon, we bought new Caribbean live sand, and some dry sand that was washed before using. Everything in the new tank is thriving except for the anemone. He still eats just fine, and we spot feed him. I noticed his color seems to be fading and I’m hoping he’s not getting bleached. Today I just dosed the tank with minerals to try to help. I promise the pictures came out whiter than he actually is in person but is there anything I can do to save him? The parameters of the tank are fine, but the light we have is just a bar light. We are upgrading to saltwater specific lighting on Wednesday. Please help because I don’t want to lose him :(
-Ashley Mikey’s gf
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0371.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experiences of "bleaching", it happens very fast, like overnight. This is more of a browning, which I am suspecting inadequate light, or par. What kind of lights do you have, at what setting? Maybe try turning your lights up if you can.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baller move putting him in a brand new tank. I respect hard mode. He looks as good as can be expected to me considering that’s white light.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baller move putting him in a brand new tank. I respect hard mode. He looks as good as can be expected to me considering that’s white light.
He was free and I figured just give it a shot, he’s been perfect since day one, and seems happy I just thought he is getting whiter.

OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was free and I figured just give it a shot, he’s been perfect since day one, and seems happy I just thought he is getting whiter. The light we have is just a
my experiences of "bleaching", it happens very fast, like overnight. This is more of a browning, which I am suspecting inadequate light, or par. What kind of lights do you have, at what setting? Maybe try turning your lights up if you can.
the light was a light we got from the previous owner of the tank, it’s just a bar light that sits on top of the tank. The anemone was also on the underside of the rock so I flipped the rock so he could get more light. We will be upgrading our lights on Wednesday though!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone was also on the underside of the rock so I flipped the rock so he could get more light. We will be upgrading our lights on Wednesday though!
I actually laughed out loud at that. For the future that stresses them way more. They are fully capable and do move where they are comfortable.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we have had this anemone for almost a month now, and we just upgraded from a 46 gallon to a 125. We didn’t use any of the water or sand from the 46 gallon, we bought new Caribbean live sand, and some dry sand that was washed before using. Everything in the new tank is thriving except for the anemone. He still eats just fine, and we spot feed him. I noticed his color seems to be fading and I’m hoping he’s not getting bleached. Today I just dosed the tank with minerals to try to help. I promise the pictures came out whiter than he actually is in person but is there anything I can do to save him? The parameters of the tank are fine, but the light we have is just a bar light. We are upgrading to saltwater specific lighting on Wednesday. Please help because I don’t want to lose him :(
-Ashley Mikey’s gf
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0371.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg
I would personally stop spot feeding it as it may think it's a great spot to settle in (false positive) as it getting food

Without realising its too much light.. I hope that makes sense.

Let it roam around your aquarium and find it's own place to settle, anemones are photosynthetic so feeding is not necessary , let it find it's own light source and adjust to it.
Just my opinion:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back