Is my blenny too skinny?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my pictures, the blues wash everything out.

I have a black sailfin blenny. I've had him for about 4-5 months. I had a bad GHA problem so I figured he would help. He cleaned out a large patch of long GHA in the beginning. Since then, he only picks at the glass that looks clean. Like he prefers the shorter stuff that only he can see. There is plenty of longer stuff if he wanted to eat it, so hopefully he wouldn't starve instead of eating the long stuff.

I've never had one, so maybe they are just a thin fish. In the 3rd picture, you can see a line, maybe a bone? Maybe LL? He is out and about all the time pecking away all over. He especially likes cleaning off the powerhead when they are in feed mode.
20190520_202410.jpeg
20190520_202358.jpeg
20190520_202325.jpeg

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny and it's fat. I do put nori in about 3 times per week and he's on it sometimes before I take my hand out of the tank. It will eat a little frozen food, but seems to prefer the nori more. I also put in a few algae pellets here and there too.

I recently lost an orange spot blenny and he just would not eat. Slowly withered away. His stomach was sunken in as well.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lawnmower blenny and it's fat. I do put nori in about 3 times per week and he's on it sometimes before I take my hand out of the tank. It will eat a little frozen food, but seems to prefer the nori more. I also put in a few algae pellets here and there too.

I recently lost an orange spot blenny and he just would not eat. Slowly withered away. His stomach was sunken in as well.
I figured I would only have to supplemental feed if he didn't have other algae to eat. I want him to eat the tank algae, not wait for me to feed him MORE algae.

Do you think that he looks thin? I was going to get a lawnmower, but they get too big for a 34 gallon

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can be finicky. If you want to keep him, even though he's not eating the tank algae, I would try supplemental feeding.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is skinny. He needs supplemental feeding. The gha may be a variety he doesn't like or won't eat. They generally prefer film algae.
I glued a piece of rubble to an old TLF magnet, rubber banded a piece of nori (the same as he was eating in QT) to it and he was on it within 30 minutes!! I feel bad that the little guy was hungry, but I was trying to force him to do his job!! Now I have ANOTHER fish I am going to have to feed that was supposed to clean up the tank, lol

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued a piece of rubble to an old TLF magnet, rubber banded a piece of nori (the same as he was eating in QT) to it and he was on it within 30 minutes!! I feel bad that the little guy was hungry, but I was trying to force him to do his job!! Now I have ANOTHER fish I am going to have to feed that was supposed to clean up the tank, lol

That's great! I love the blenny's. He may pick on the tank algae here and there even though you're supplementing with nori. But, he'll be happier and healthier now.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! I love the blenny's. He may pick on the tank algae here and there even though you're supplementing with nori. But, he'll be happier and healthier now.
The whole reason was to clean the tank up!! In my big tank I have a foxface, tomini tang, and angel and there isn't a spec of algae. Unfortunately, a 34 gallon is too small for any of them. My #1 is a foxface.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back