Is my clam slowly dying?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick photo of some of my clams. The large clam has a bit of glue to prevent it from falling. It fell from numerous seemingly supportive spots over 5 times. Keeping some glue actually helped keep it stable and I have good shell growth.

However, I know my par and I use a proven spectrum (T5’s) so I know wherever I decide to place it will meet it’s needs.

C49AB32E-6F19-4E5A-84B4-4CC0F46A461E.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, if you don’t recommend gluing a clam, that’s fine. I don’t recommend gluing them by their foot, but giving them a little support on the side of the shell so the random flow doesn’t keep dislodging them works for me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just make or buy a cradle for it. You could make one out of epoxy even... just dry it first.. don't epoxy it to the clam :p

You can also use clam shells to set them in. You can buy them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, if you don’t recommend gluing a clam, that’s fine. I don’t recommend gluing them by their foot, but giving them a little support on the side of the shell so the random flow doesn’t keep dislodging them works for me.

You sure it was the flow? They are actually mobile.. they might have been trying to turn/move themselves and fell. Happens all the time unless you cradle them. Little clams move more. Big ones are clumsy.

When I had them they would kind of turn themselves inside the cradle till they could get the exact right flow or what not they decided they liked.

I would love some clams again but worried my copperband or flame might nip? would be a shame.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it was the flow? They are actually mobile.. they might have been trying to turn/move themselves and fell. Happens all the time unless you cradle them. Little clams move more. Big ones are clumsy.

When I had them they would kind of turn themselves inside the cradle till they could get the exact right flow or what not they decided they liked.

I would love some clams again but worried my copperband or flame might nip? would be a shame.
It’s the big one that kept falling. It is very clumsy.

My rockwork isn‘t flat. I would love to let the clams twist and turn all the want, but if they keep falling they will die. The worst thing IMO, is a disturbed clam.

I‘d rather have them glued on top on the rock than have than loose on the sandbed. That’s just me though.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my clams are not permanently attached by any means. A quick snap with my finger can easily detach them. I just used cyanoacrylate glue.

That‘s just what seems to be working well for me. :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the big one that kept falling. It is very clumsy.

My rockwork isn‘t flat. I would love to let the clams twist and turn all the want, but if they keep falling they will die. The worst thing IMO, is a disturbed clam.

I‘d rather have them glued on top on the rock than have than loose on the sandbed. That’s just me though.

ya, I mean... they look fine. I never seen anyone glue them though :) I guess now we know.

I think people say not to glue them because you are gluing a mobile animal down... but it is also a clam and I doubt it has conscious thoughts :p If it did, it would not throw itself off a cliff and into the sand.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, I mean... they look fine. I never seen anyone glue them though :) I guess now we know.

I think people say not to glue them because you are gluing a mobile animal down... but it is also a clam and I doubt it has conscious thoughts :p If it did, it would not throw itself off a cliff and into the sand.
I mean now that I think of it, I do feel bad. I really would like them to be free and move to their desire, but I’m not kidding when I say I’ve tried my best at positioning them.

Here is a picture of one of the times it fell (That white thing is its foot)
June 23rd, 2022

4517284E-7D05-4618-A80C-F4F3E8A4E912.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider finding a way to get them positioned without the glue. I will try those clam holders ya’ll are talking about.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider finding a way to get them positioned without the glue. I will try those clam holders ya’ll are talking about.

nah if they look happy, leave them alone! Don't fix what is not broken :) Idk how long they been glued there but if it has been awhile and they open well and never look stressed. I would leave em! I don't like to poke things more than needed.

The clam just doesn't know any better. Once the coral grows in, they are not going anywhere anyways.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef I did not mean to sound like I am pressuring you lol

In nature they grow surrounded by corals that more or less trap them (except when small).

1664334560987.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The most vulnerable part of a clam is its byssal opening, so if it’s exposed it has no way of protecting itself from predators. Also, crocea, maxima and noae all secrete a mild acid that dissolves the limestone (or coral skeleton) in order to secure themselves to a solid surface to protect the byssal opening. If given the right placement, the clam will do all of the work. If it keeps moving or falls, it’s not in a secure spot and is trying to find a better place to call home. You will never find a clam in nature with its byssal opening exposed and alive for very long. Granted our tanks are a much safer environment, but their natural tendency is to secure themselves the only way they know how. They also need to have free range in “pumping” their shells, glueing the shell restricts this movement. You most certainly can glue the clam shell, but it’s not beneficial to the clam at all and not something I would ever do.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t glue the foot. Glue the side of the clam to the rock. They will stay put this way. All my 7 clams are mounted with glue because if not they will keep falling.

edit. don’t do this. That was bad advice.
I edited the recommendation. :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies if I seem like the clam police, but I’ve been keeping these awesome animals since the 90’s and I just want people to keep them happy and healthy in their tanks.
You are doing a great job! Always keep informing us so we can all have that long term success! :)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick photo of some of my clams. The large clam has a bit of glue to prevent it from falling. It fell from numerous seemingly supportive spots over 5 times. Keeping some glue actually helped keep it stable and I have good shell growth.

However, I know my par and I use a proven spectrum (T5’s) so I know wherever I decide to place it will meet it’s needs.

C49AB32E-6F19-4E5A-84B4-4CC0F46A461E.jpeg

Wow, nice clams! How much Alk and Ca are you consuming every day!?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies if I seem like the clam police, but I’ve been keeping these awesome animals since the 90’s and I just want people to keep them happy and healthy in their tanks.

Do you observe much change in their mantle color over time?

I have a crocea under an AI Prime 16HD. It had a few of the nice brown splashes in the inner mantle that seem to have lessened in favor of more purple/blue throughout.

Oh, sorry, not intending to hijack post. So my contribution: my crocea liked to roll off it's epoxy cradle right into the RFA garden, every few days would inch closer to the edge then I'd find it in the AM in the sand bed. In the end, I just set it between a rock and my blenny's barnacle cluster and it attached to the barnacle and hasn't moved in months. Repositions itself a bit.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you observe much change in their mantle color over time?

I have a crocea under an AI Prime 16HD. It had a few of the nice brown splashes in the inner mantle that seem to have lessened in favor of more purple/blue throughout.

Oh, sorry, not intending to hijack post. So my contribution: my crocea liked to roll off it's epoxy cradle right into the RFA garden, every few days would inch closer to the edge then I'd find it in the AM in the sand bed. In the end, I just set it between a rock and my blenny's barnacle cluster and it attached to the barnacle and hasn't moved in months. Repositions itself a bit.
Yes, I’ve found that some clams do change color over time, but this happens in nature too. It could be a shift with just a few colors and sometimes an overall shift (kind of like a dulling effect). The zooxanthellae and iridophores can physically shift or move positions within the mantle as well.
Read this about clam mantle color.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back