Is my emerald crab dead, playing dead, or molting?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my cleanup crew today and it included two green emerald crabs. I followed the instructions from ReefCleaners. Snails, hermits and 2 shrimp all seem fine.

One crab played dead for a while but I’ve seen him twitch and move a tiny bit, but mostly he’s been frozen perfectly still.

The other hasn’t moved at all in over eight hours.

How do I know if these guys are dead or molting? Is it common for them to mold immediately after shipping?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, no it is not normal, could play dead for a few minutes ,but then scurry for cover.
place in one spot, see if they move lil while after lights out.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, no it is not normal, could play dead for a few minutes ,but then scurry for cover.
place in one spot, see if they move lil while after lights out.
Shoot. Then I think at least one is dead. Maybe both. ☹️

Any ideas as to why?

salinity = 1.024
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 50
Ammonia = .25

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry no clue, basically DOA, they didn't take the shipping would be my guess.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you followed the instructions from ReefCleaners, do you mean for acclimation? How long were they in transit? Was there any sign of life in the shipping bag? I would agree the one sounds dead and the other close to it.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. Then I think at least one is dead. Maybe both. ☹️

Any ideas as to why?

salinity = 1.024
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 50
Ammonia = .25
Are you using the API test for your parameters? I ask because obviously you don’t want ammonia at all, but the zero nitrite and .25 ammonia is pretty typical of the API false positive ammonia reading. If you DO have ammonia, it’s certainly not helpful, but I’m guessing you don’t.

Most likely they died (or were almost dead) in transit and this is essentially a DOA. It happens unfortunately. Email John and see if he’ll do something for you, he’s usually good about that. Even if there weren’t shipping delays, this can happen. But no movement in 6+ hours is unusual. They should have moved to a hiding spot by now.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you followed the instructions from ReefCleaners, do you mean for acclimation? How long were they in transit? Was there any sign of life in the shipping bag? I would agree the one sounds dead and the other close to it.
yes I acclimated as they suggested (which ironically was to NOT drip acclimate). I floated the bags for an hour then poured them into a net, did a quick dip in a bucket of my tank water, then put them in my display tank.

Shipped overnight with early morning delivery from Florida to Philly. One was moving quite a bit in the bag when I got it, then he moved a few times after I dropped him into the display, but after that he hasn’t moved in hours.

I always see crabs on the beach and they are tough as nails, so I’m shocked these little guys are so sensitive!

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the API test for your parameters? I ask because obviously you don’t want ammonia at all, but the zero nitrite and .25 ammonia is pretty typical of the API false positive ammonia reading. If you DO have ammonia, it’s certainly not helpful, but I’m guessing you don’t.

Most likely they died (or were almost dead) in transit and this is essentially a DOA. It happens unfortunately. Email John and see if he’ll do something for you, he’s usually good about that. Even if there weren’t shipping delays, this can happen. But no movement in 6+ hours is unusual. They should have moved to a hiding spot by now.
Thanks! I’m using Salifert test kits. I also have an ammonia alert tag thingy in the tank reading 0

I already emailed John so hoping he has some suggestions or can hook me up with extras on my next order.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m using Salifert test kits. I also have an ammonia alert tag thingy in the tank reading 0

I already emailed John so hoping he has some suggestions or can hook me up with extras on my next order.
Yeah, probably not an ammonia issue then.

Good, hopefully he’s helpful. And maybe one (or both) will come around for you after a bit. But “shock” like that from shipping is less common for crabs than it is snails, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had good success with Reef cleaners inverts. Their shipping quality is sub par.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I acclimated as they suggested (which ironically was to NOT drip acclimate). I floated the bags for an hour then poured them into a net, did a quick dip in a bucket of my tank water, then put them in my display tank.

Shipped overnight with early morning delivery from Florida to Philly. One was moving quite a bit in the bag when I got it, then he moved a few times after I dropped him into the display, but after that he hasn’t moved in hours.

I always see crabs on the beach and they are tough as nails, so I’m shocked these little guys are so sensitive!
Hmmm. That's not how I've been told to acclimate inverts. Float the bag until it's at tank temp (which should only be 15 to 20 mins) then check the bag's salinity and compare to yours. If it's the same or within a couple points then mix in a shot glass of your tank water into the bag about every 5 mins for 30 mins (this gets them used to your water). If the salinity difference is greater than two points then you will have to go longer to get it matched. That's what I've been told. Hopefully others will chime in because maybe you can just add them to the tank but that's not what I've been told. This could be an acclimation issue or maybe they simply didn't survive shipping. Sorry to hear this happened. It's a bummer.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is reef cleaners recommended process, you did it correctly.. Email them and let them know DOA asap, if you wait too long they will not honor your request.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back