Is my hammer splitting?

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my oldest hammer corals and has grown from 4 heads to almost 16 heads. I noticed two of my bigger heads are very closed and I now noticed that there’s a split down the middle going the opposite way that looks unusual.

Does that look normal? Is my coral okay?

IMG_4902.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my oldest hammer corals and has grown from 4 heads to almost 16 heads. I noticed two of my bigger heads are very closed and I now noticed that there’s a split down the middle going the opposite way that looks unusual.

IMG_4902.jpeg
Not good with hammers, mine always die :( but I just wanted to comment to tell you thats a beautiful and huge hammer! Hopefully the dude is just splitting cause he is super cool!

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4902.jpeg
Thank you for asking! The two heads ended up bailing out and dying, but the rest of the colony is perfectly intact and healthy. I was nervous that it was some sort of infection or issue that could spread, but my LFS told me it was a “failed split“, and that I had nothing to worry about. I’ve never heard of that before! I will attach a picture of the current colony.
IMG_5293.jpeg

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned to cut away the affected head but the other polyp on that branch seems very healthy. The LFS said the branches will continue to grow and slowly cover the dead polyps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back