Is my lighting sufficient? Please help!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am currently upgrading my lighting , I run a mixed reef primarily focused on BTAs. My tank is a 40breeder. I am running 3 Orphek OR3s mounted 8inch above the water. I am worried my Nems won’t be getting enough par, should I lower the lights ? Any suggestions ? Thanks

image.jpg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be okay. Orphek's site state that the 36" units hit about ~60-80 par at peak at a very, very high height. Putting your three together at 8" is more likely way more than suitable. BTA's are wanting 2-250 par level's if i'm not mistaken. I think you're fine

Reference: https://orphek.com/about/led-par-test/

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have enough light. Are your params stable and tank mature. What LR3s do you have. In my 29g I have 2 blue plus and 1 reef day plus, does yours make one side more white than the other because of the single orange bulb?

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have enough light. Are your params stable and tank mature. What LR3s do you have. In my 29g I have 2 blue plus and 1 reef day plus, does yours make one side more white than the other because of the single orange bulb?
Yea it does a little bit there is also some light spillage on the right side , I’m running the same setup 2 blue plus and one day plus. My parameters are stable and the tank is 7 months old now.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be okay. Orphek's site state that the 36" units hit about ~60-80 par at peak at a very, very high height. Putting your three together at 8" is more likely way more than suitable. BTA's are wanting 2-250 par level's if i'm not mistaken. I think you're fine

Reference: https://orphek.com/about/led-par-test/

Here’s hoping so! I had the orphek around 3inches before mounting because I didn’t have the mount yet , just worried the loss in par would stress the Nems and I don’t have a par meter

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea it does a little bit there is also some light spillage on the right side , I’m running the same setup 2 blue plus and one day plus. My parameters are stable and the tank is 7 months old now.
Often are you testing to consider stable? You really need to test alk every day at the same time for say a week to determine stable. Saying it’s 7.0 dkh and next week is 8.0 dkh is not stable that he a good bit of a swing.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often are you testing to consider stable? You really need to test alk every day at the same time for say a week to determine stable. Saying it’s 7.0 dkh and next week is 8.0 dkh is not stable that he a good bit of a swing.
I try for atleast 3x a week, I just ran out of my Red Sea test kit for alk so I got a Hanna meaning I can now check alk daily! Just ran parameters and they are alk 11 dkh , Ca 410 Mg 1400 , ph 8.0, 0 ammonia .25 nitrite, 10 ppm nitrate , .25 ppm phosphate.

My alk has always been on the higher side , my lfs run about 9.8 on alk and I have started dosing would like to get my calcium up , I am dosing only 1 part for the calcium currently.

I am also running high nutrients because I hate Dino’s lol if I water change they will bloom

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't those bars have different options for optics when you order them? That will determine the optimal height.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually meant the lenses. Are they for instance 120°? Maybe I'm thinking of another brand. Anyway, if the optics are tight, say like 60°, they are designed to be up high above the tank because the light is focused. Think magnifying glass.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back