Is my mixed water safe?

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bare live wires from a pump were exposed in my mixed saltwater container. Will the saltwater still be safe to use or is there a significant chemistry change? Any risk of melted rubber poluting the water? The wires were not exposed when I place the pump back in the container yesterday. I heard sizzling this morning.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bare live wires from a pump were exposed in my mixed saltwater container. Will the saltwater still be safe to use or is there a significant chemistry change? Any risk of melted rubber poluting the water? The wires were not exposed when I place the pump back in the container yesterday. I heard sizzling this morning.

I would reject salt water that may have had current from copper wires flowing through it. A lot of copper can be released to the water due to the electrochemistry taking place.

OP
OP
A

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reject salt water that may have had current from copper wires flowing through it. A lot of copper can be released to the water due to the electrochemistry taking place.
Thank you! I was afraid something like that could happen. Hate to waste the water but I'd rather be cautious.

OP
OP
A

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
answers my question about GFCI outlets.
Mine was actually plugged into a gfci, which didn't trip for some reason...yeah I'll need to get that checked. When I pulled the pump up by the cord (thankfully not putting my hands in the water) it was sizzling and sparking.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was actually plugged into a gfci, which didn't trip for some reason...yeah I'll need to get that checked. When I pulled the pump up by the cord (thankfully not putting my hands in the water) it was sizzling and sparking.

Did you have a ground probe in the water? If so, it should have tripped.

If not, and all current went in and out of the same gfi outlet, then it wouldn’t trip.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back