Is my new hammer frag dying?

liamelias

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
104
Reaction score
21
Location
Bloomfield
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my new hammer about 2 days ago. Dripped acclimated then did a revive dip and rinse. Coral opened up with the light yesterday. Seemed to be doing good. Today I wake up to this. 1/3 of the coral has “fallen from the plug.” Does anyone know what caused this and if there is anyway for me to save it?

8CE6F643-3165-4087-951A-C46087061E6A.jpeg
 
Looks like part of the skeleton broke off. How the hammer will respond will depend on how well it acclimates. Just be patient and best to just leave it alone.
 
Definitely skeletal degeneration. Probably hasnt had enough calcium for some time. I highly highly recommend keeping a close eye on it, a bacterial infection is probably looming here. Hammers are highly susceptible to bacterial infections and die very quickly from them. And quickly as in, 24 hours an entire Hammer can be melted.
 
Looks like part of the skeleton broke off. How the hammer will respond will depend on how well it acclimates. Just be patient and best to just leave it alone.
Interesting you mention that. While i was dipping the coral, I noticed a few fracture on it’s trunk. They weren’t very big so I figured it was just the way the coral is.
 
There may be hope. I was using a bone cutter to remove a new hammer from it’s plug and the skeleton split vertically and through the flesh leaving me 3 pieces with polyps on them. I thought it would not have a chance but glued them down and the one with the most polyps made it and currently has two large heads. That was about a year ago. Older picture.
DD3AF018-D60E-4DC1-85A7-1BF31D393327.jpeg
 
I got my new hammer about 2 days ago. Dripped acclimated then did a revive dip and rinse. Coral opened up with the light yesterday. Seemed to be doing good. Today I wake up to this. 1/3 of the coral has “fallen from the plug.” Does anyone know what caused this and if there is anyway for me to save it?

8CE6F643-3165-4087-951A-C46087061E6A.jpeg
So today the entire main hammer melted and its flesh withered away. However notice down here a part of it split off. It looks like it’s alive because the polyps have come out a bit. What should i do? It’s literally just laying on its side. Should i glue it right side up?

0FF11770-33D6-414D-AB50-4F64DBE99D2C.jpeg
 
Yep, glue it right side up. Moderate light and flow, should be swaying back and forth. Good luck .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new