Is my previously cycled rock still...live?

Sweet Coraline

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Messages
30
Reaction score
27
Location
45365
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I tore down a tank some time ago. No idea when. A year ago????? 6 months? Anyhow, the rock was cycled and I kept both the rock and sand wet with the tank water in a tub since then. No flow, no heat. (Had INTENDED to restart a new tank within a few weeks, but life happened. ) Is it still live or is everything probably needing to be re-cycled? I have no problem starting over, but if there's a chance I don't have to, that's great! Lol
 
I would test for the basic.....ammon and nitrates....maybe even phosphates....
IMO, I would start over....its been in stagnant water so who knows.....
 
I also have some newly cured dry rock. I know that it will start out 100% pest free. I want to start a pico reef bowl with some of my "leftovers" to see if I can do it. (Softies only, no fish, maybe a tiny cuc.) I guess I'm going down to my scarey old-house basement to do some testing. Lol. Just wondered if anyone else has kept live rock live like this?
 
Without the water being oxygenated for that long, I imagine all the beneficial bacteria has died. Not only that, but I imagine new rock would be better at this point, because I imagine there is a good amount of not beneficial bacteria in there now.
 
Thank you both! Yeah. I kind of figured this was the case. New rock it is. If I remember, I'll post my pico bowl journey.
 
Hi all! I tore down a tank some time ago. No idea when. A year ago????? 6 months? Anyhow, the rock was cycled and I kept both the rock and sand wet with the tank water in a tub since then. No flow, no heat. (Had INTENDED to restart a new tank within a few weeks, but life happened. ) Is it still live or is everything probably needing to be re-cycled? I have no problem starting over, but if there's a chance I don't have to, that's great! Lol
"Cycled" means "the tank substrate/rock contains enough nitrifying bacteria to convert the current bioload of ammonia into nitrate [within about a day]".

So, put the rock in, add an ammo source, and test.
Then you'll know :)

(I definitely don't recommend adding fish/inverts to a tank without knowing it's "cycled")
 
I also have some newly cured dry rock. I know that it will start out 100% pest free. I want to start a pico reef bowl with some of my "leftovers" to see if I can do it. (Softies only, no fish, maybe a tiny cuc.) I guess I'm going down to my scarey old-house basement to do some testing. Lol. Just wondered if anyone else has kept live rock live like this?
Cycling might not be all that important for a soft coral only aquarium.
 
Without the water being oxygenated for that long, I imagine all the beneficial bacteria has died. Not only that, but I imagine new rock would be better at this point, because I imagine there is a good amount of not beneficial bacteria in there now.
You would be rather surprised what survives in those conditions.

In any case, there is likely nothing wrong with the rock that a rinse and some circulation and fresh water wouldn't help. No need to throw it away or buy new.
 
Definitely not buying new! Doing this as an experiment almost. Super low budget, low tech. I'm not transferring anything from my other tank due to pests. (Nano tank going for over three years with Pennywise the flesh eating clownfish who doesn't play well with others, but thriving sps, lps, and softie corals.) I just want a desktop reef that gives a a glimpse of serenity. It's been a minute since I've cycled ANY tank! I know how, was just hoping for a shortcut. Yes. I know shortcuts and tanking. I've just never cycled a salt tank this small! (Gallon of milk for reference.)
 

Attachments

  • 20241015_212429.jpg
    20241015_212429.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi all! I tore down a tank some time ago. No idea when. A year ago????? 6 months? Anyhow, the rock was cycled and I kept both the rock and sand wet with the tank water in a tub since then. No flow, no heat. (Had INTENDED to restart a new tank within a few weeks, but life happened. ) Is it still live or is everything probably needing to be re-cycled? I have no problem starting over, but if there's a chance I don't have to, that's great! Lol
I would re establish flow on rock with no light and add some new bacteria and possibly add copopods for a month or 3.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new