Is my red fromia starfish dying?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I already know the answer to this question, but does it look like my red fromia starfish is starting to disintegrate/die? I know these guys typically don't last long in reef tanks, and I didn't want to get him initially, but the fiance really wanted him. (I know, I know. Please don't judge.) He's been in the tank for over 9 months and has done pretty well, but I noticed the tips of his legs were starting to turn white. From the research I've done and reading threads here on R2R showing them disintegrating, I fear this may be the start of his eventual death. :( I tried to get a quick picture but it's a bit white/blurry. I can try to get a better picture of the white spots if needed. He's still moving around the tank but if this is indeed the beginning of the end, I know I need to remove him before he completely disintegrates and pollutes the tank.

0611201534.jpg

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss @muzikalmatt. I don’t mean to be insensitive but there are red serpent starfish that you could look into. Serpents are more hardy and live a lot longer in our tanks.

Thanks Trigger! I appreciate the suggestion as I really do enjoy having the starfish in the tank. He added a nice splash of color and given that he was 6-legged instead of the typical 5, he was fairly unique and fun to watch.

With the serpent star would I have to worry about him potentially going after small fish or inverts (especially feather dusters)? They can get pretty large right?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do get large. I feed my serpent larger bits of meaty food when I feed the tank; I drop it in her cave. She also catches smaller pieces and pellets and argues with the clean up crew over it. I have not experienced any fish or feather duster casualties but it could be possible if it was starving. Here’s mine at the fish store before I brought it home.
5AE00597-9F38-4809-A731-368028A095A8.jpeg

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that's awesome! That thing is massive! Would that be too large for my IM Nuvo 40 AIO tank? The display area is about 35ish gallons. Also, I have a yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp who pretty much live in caves underneath the rock structures. I'd hate to create a territorial dispute. As much as I love the look of this guy, he might be something I'd have to wait until I upgrade to get.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well remove that melting animal now. Dry it out as a reminder for your fiance.
Best of luck (31 years married, probably won't make 32. ;) )

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, I’m not sure...I don’t want to tell you yes and have it turn out badly...mine is in a 90g. For what it’s worth..they mostly stay in their cave. Although, they are taken from the bajillion gallon ocean so are any of our tanks really big enough??

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back