Is my return pump going to be too powerful?

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear I have two drains one 1 inch and one 1.5 inch. The return is separate from these and is at the other side of the tank.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this tool http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/civil/hazen-williams_g to approximate the amount of flow that your drain will achieve under full siphon and then plan the pump accordingly. Whether your pump is approximately correct or not depends on the head pressure for the pump and the drop for the drain.

Bruce

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks very much for these. Here are the results I get, I think I've entered the correct info although it doesn't take into consideration my 90° turn into the sump.

cb1a018678576f200ca5bc1bdaa9f4d6.png

If that's correct it's says I'll be getting around 2,400 gallons per hour through the 1 inch drain? Can that be correct??

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I think I've got the numbers right in that calculator and it's now saying 2160 gph but that still seems a bit high from what I was expecting?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much for these. Here are the results I get, I think I've entered the correct info although it doesn't take into consideration my 90° turn into the sump.

cb1a018678576f200ca5bc1bdaa9f4d6.png

If that's correct it's says I'll be getting around 2,400 gallons per hour through the 1 inch drain? Can that be correct??

Sure about the drop vs. length? I'd guess you are in the range of 1600-1800 gph with your elbow so if you consider that your pump has at least the same 36" head, I'd say it is ok to underpowered rather than overpowered for this tank.

Bruce

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure about the drop vs. length? I'd guess you are in the range of 1600-1800 gph with your elbow so if you consider that your pump has at least the same 36" head, I'd say it is ok to underpowered rather than overpowered for this tank.

Bruce

Just got the measuring tape out and checked the pipe length properly and you were correct to question my drop v length number! The pipe length was a lot longer than I thought when I included the vertical pipe after the 90°. With the 51" pipe length entered properly I'm getting 1920 gph. Does that seem more realistic?

Here's the drain pipes from underneath:

83aa2cf281d6c7df3c7ec63cef112d94.png

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the elbows will reduce flow somewhat which is why I guesstimated 1600-1800 gph considering that you calculated around 1900. Now just determine how much flow your pump will have at the height where water enters the aquarium and you will know. I have become a big fan of oversizing the pump and flowing into a manifold that handles all of my reactors as well as the return. In my 75g that is being rebuilt, I am going to put the skimmer (Lifereef venturi) on the manifold as well to get all of the extraneous pumps out of the relatively small sump.

Bruce

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue that hasn't been mentioned here is noise level. I'd put gate valves on both drains and be prepared to use either as the main "full syphon" drain. I don't think the pump size is going to be a problem because as already mentioned, you can always valve the return. You could also consider getting a bit fancier with the outlet of the return in the tank. Diversify it a bit and have two or even three adjustable nozzles that you can move from time to time.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the elbows will reduce flow somewhat which is why I guesstimated 1600-1800 gph considering that you calculated around 1900. Now just determine how much flow your pump will have at the height where water enters the aquarium and you will know. I have become a big fan of oversizing the pump and flowing into a manifold that handles all of my reactors as well as the return. In my 75g that is being rebuilt, I am going to put the skimmer (Lifereef venturi) on the manifold as well to get all of the extraneous pumps out of the relatively small sump.

Bruce

I think once I'm more confidant with it all I'd like to have it set up that way but my sump is pretty big (50") so, at least for now, space in there isn't an issue for me.

Going by this chart for my return pump I think it will be almost perfect for the flow you've helped me work out? Mine is the 9000 model.

Thanks for all your help with this Bruce, I really appreciate it!

a1c12ca8f6bc4834fb31d695bf6ff08a.jpg

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue that hasn't been mentioned here is noise level. I'd put gate valves on both drains and be prepared to use either as the main "full syphon" drain. I don't think the pump size is going to be a problem because as already mentioned, you can always valve the return. You could also consider getting a bit fancier with the outlet of the return in the tank. Diversify it a bit and have two or even three adjustable nozzles that you can move from time to time.

I'm hoping that if I can get a herbie like set up using either of the holes I should get it pretty quiet?

I really like the idea of the nozzles on the outlet for a more varied flow. I'm going to try and work out how I could do this now!

Thanks.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a 92 corner, 3/4" return, 1" drain, with a ~20 gal sump. I recently did a test run using a Jebao DCT8000. I cranked it all the way up and the drain handles the flow with no issues. I won't be running it that high but wanted to see what would happen. Unless I'm missing something you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a 92 corner, 3/4" return, 1" drain, with a ~20 gal sump. I recently did a test run using a Jebao DCT8000. I cranked it all the way up and the drain handles the flow with no issues. I won't be running it that high but wanted to see what would happen. Unless I'm missing something you'll be fine.

That's good to know, thanks very much mate!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once I'm more confidant with it all I'd like to have it set up that way but my sump is pretty big (50") so, at least for now, space in there isn't an issue for me.

Going by this chart for my return pump I think it will be almost perfect for the flow you've helped me work out? Mine is the 9000 model.

Thanks for all your help with this Bruce, I really appreciate it!

a1c12ca8f6bc4834fb31d695bf6ff08a.jpg
Yes, it looks like the pump at max output is fairly close to the calculated flow. You should have no trouble at all. Good luck!

My sump is small because it is a 75g corner tank and the space is very tight. It previously had a 2 x Mag 9.5, one for the return and one for the skimmer, as well as a powerhead running the GFO reactor. This like running the tank with a 200W heater on all the time so it needed a chiller to keep the temp below 82. I am going to rebuild with a Fluval SP6 and have it drive the return, skimmer and reactors and see whether I can live without the chiller (it is an LED only tank).

Bruce

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cool looking set up. Looks really slick. Will you have to sit the tank slightly out from the corner due to the sump position?

That's just a temporary stand for testing. I'll be doing a full oversized built-in in the house that will accommodate the sump. So yes it will be somewhat out from the corner but not too much.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started reefing a lot of people told me that a 1 inch drain would only handle 650 to 700 GPH. I also saw that number posted on a lot of the forums. I don't know what nudnik decided to be cute and throw those stupid numbers around but they are totally false and a plague to this hobby. I have a single one inch drain and a 1 inch emergency drain, my ecotech l1 has 1 45° bend going up 2ft directly into my return. The single one inch drain pipe handles it with no problem and that's with multiple 90° bends.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back